Ever done this?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Forgot about my MOT until this evening. :( Tax due tomorrow. Just beein phoning round garages. The one i normally take it to said "MOTs take 40 minutes now mate, drop it off in the morning and we'll ring you when its done." I need my car at 10am for an indefinite length of time, so this was not an option, they couldnt give me a time. If MOTs take 40 minutes, whats wrong with a booking system that takes this into account, and giving people exact times?

Phoned 2 more small independants, again, no times were given, one was booked up until NEXT WEEK!

Phoned the biggest car dealers in Doncaster, Ringways Ford, just round the corner here, and they gave me an appointment at 8:30am, saying it would take 1 and a half hours. :) Yay! I bet they charge me the earth for it though eh. Not really got an option.

I've been driving for 3 years and this is the second time this has happened to me lol. I really must organise better. :LOL:

And I bet there's a queue at the post office, being car tax day and all. :rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
At least you remembered, albeit only just.

I forgot to do my tax, and landed an £80 fine :cry:

Worst of all, my dad has a post office, so I've no excuse

MOT's are now fully computerised (with the usual government IT f*ckups), and no backup system....

I had a car booked in on a wednesday morning, and had a small failure (CV boot)..garage put it in for a re-test the same day, and I finally got it back the following tuesday - due to system 'down-time' and over booking...hence the MOT testing station not being able to quote times..

luckily I always get a courtesy car, but it was still a pain...

I like to arrange my MOTs to be out of synch with my Road Tax. If they are a few months apart it saves the problem you have encountered.

Sponsored Links
You can also peel the sticker off the computerised MOT certificate and stick it to the inside of your windscreen. This has the expiry date of the MOT on it to help you remember next time.
How many of you didn't realise there is a sticker on it?? :LOL:

Spark123 said:
You can also peel the sticker off the computerised MOT certificate and stick it to the inside of your windscreen. This has the expiry date of the MOT on it to help you remember next time.
How many of you didn't realise there is a sticker on it?? :LOL:
i've never had a computerised MOT cert! Just the olde one, A5 size, velum, handwritten usually, with the garage stamp embossed on it.

Eddie, it will pass. And if it doesnt they got all day to fix it (well, till 5:30 when the P off closes)

fortunatly, my car doesnt need an mot for another year.... and its due around the same time as tax is. altho im gonna take it in about 2 month early for its mot so there not together

I thought you could only have your car MOT'ed 7 days prior to the old MOT running out, or has that changed? Or not even the case anyway ?

If the vehicle is presented for test within the calendar month prior to the date that the MOT is due, the test certificate will run from the date of the test to one year after the expiry date of the current certificate.

Best de-synchronise the MOT and road FUND license ... saves having to 'sorn' if car fails mot and has to wait for spares or dosh !!
Can take a vehicle for MOT by appointment if current MOT has run out, at least that's how it used to be ..

;)

The cost of driving has gone up yet again as fees for MoTs are about to reach the £50 mark for the first time. The current cost of the MoT test is £44.15, and is set to increase next month (Nov??) to £50.35, an inflation-busting rise of 14 per cent

The increase in MoT charges has been blamed on the computerisation of the test, which has forced many test centres to employ extra staff.

:(

empip said:

Best de-synchronise the MOT and road FUND license ... saves having to 'sorn' if car fails mot and has to wait for spares or dosh !!
Can take a vehicle for MOT by appointment if current MOT has run out, at least that's how it used to be ..

;)

Agree with first part, as for driving without MOT you can only be driving it to have the MOT & there must be an appointment. So you cant say yes I was just going down the road to get an MOT

Diyisfun said:
empip said:

;)

Agree with first part, as for driving without MOT you can only be driving it to have the MOT & there must be an appointment. So you cant say yes I was just going down the road to get an MOT

I said 'by appointment' I am sure - didn't I?? :rolleyes:

£44.15? The garage I took mine to charged £40.00. :D

And yes, there was a bloody great long queue at the post office. Good job I paid for half an hour parking, fee was 20p per 10 mins. :evil:

crafty1289 said:
£44.15? The garage I took mine to charged £40.00. :D

And yes, there was a b****y great long queue at the post office. Good job I paid for half an hour parking, fee was 20p per 10 mins. :evil:

You wanna come to the big smoke then! In Central London people regularly remortgage their house to pay for parking and I was once in a Post Office queue at 9am and only got to the counter by 10 am...the next day :eek: ;)

Sponsored Links
Back