Exam help (lost my notes)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I need some help!! Can anybody explain the operations of the following components of an electrical distribution system please?

Main Consumer Unit
Residual Current Device
Catridge Fuse
Earth Wire

Thanks!!

Sponsored Links
The regs book at the beginning lists the purposes for everything.
Or you could ask your lecturer :p

BigJon said:
The regs book at the beginning lists the purposes for everything.
Or you could ask your lecturer :p

That would be good thinking but the night before my exam and i have lost my notes it just isnt a possability!!

loola said:
Hi

I need some help!! Can anybody explain the operations of the following components of an electrical distribution system please?

Main Consumer Unit
Residual Current Device
Catridge Fuse
Earth Wire

Thanks!!

Main consumer unit

The first point in the 'electric chain' of any household electricity supply (thats owned and maintained by the householder). From here all other circuits are fed and protected by the fuses/MCB's/RCD's.

RCD

A device that measures the current flowing through the phase and neutral conductors and when an imbalance is detected that exceeds the rated trip value the supply is turned off.

Catridge Fuse

A cartridge which DOESN'T accept rewirable fuse wire :p. Connected to the consumer unit it's purpose is to break the supply in the event of an overload. The current which blows the fuse depends on the value of fuse installed.

Earth Wire

Takes many forms including:

the main equipotential bonding conductors that connect the gas and water supply pipes to the main earthing terminal
supplementary bonding conductors that link conductive metal parts in bathrooms
the main earthing conductor connecting the main earthing terminal to the earthing point.
the earth cable as part of sheathed cables.

In all cases its used as a path for fault current (except supp. where its used to limit P.d between conductive parts to reduce the risk of shock) Earthing is needed to allow a large enough current to flow from phase to earth so that the protective devices can activate so as to remove the danger.

You might want to read the regs for the actual 'text-book' answers as what I've written will not contain all the info you need to answer your questions.

Davy

EDIT:

loola said:
That would be good thinking but the night before my exam and i have lost my notes it just isnt a possability!!

Well my above answers are written for joe-public to provide a basic understanding, its probably not suitable for an exam answer. I'm sure someone will come along and add bits of info or even be kind enough to write out the explanations given in the regs.

Sponsored Links
davy_owen_88 said:
loola said:
Hi

Main Consumer Unit
Residual Current Device
Catridge Fuse
Earth Wire

Thanks!!

Main consumer unit

The first point in the 'electric chain' of any household electricity supply. From here all other circuits are fed and protected by the fuses/MCB's/RCD's.

RCD

A device that measures the current flowing through the phase and neutral conductors and when an imbalance is detected that exceeds the rated trip value the supply is turned off.

Catridge Fuse

A cartridge which accepts rewirable fuse wire. Connected to the consumer unit it's purpose is to break the supply in the event of an overload. This overload depends on the value of fuse wire installed in the cartridge fuse.

Earth Wire

Takes many forms including:

the main equipotential bonding conductors that connect the gas and water supply pipes to the main earthing terminal
supplementary bonding conductors that link conductive metal parts in bathrooms
the main earthing conductor connecting the main earthing terminal to the earthing point.
the earth cable as part of sheathed cables.

In all cases its used as a path for fault current (except supp. where its used to limit P.d between conductive parts to reduce the risk of shock) Earthing is needed to allow a large enough current to flow from phase to earth so that the protective devices can activate so as to remove the danger.

You might want to read the regs for the actual 'text-book' answers as what I've written will not contain all the info you need to answer your questions.

Davy

Brilliant Thanks very much!!

Since it sounds like you know what you are talking about any idea about this one....

explain 3 functions of an electrical conduit system?

Thanks

[quote="davy_owen_88]Catridge Fuse

A cartridge which accepts rewirable fuse wire. Connected to the consumer unit it's purpose is to break the supply in the event of an overload. This overload depends on the value of fuse wire installed in the cartridge fuse.

.[/quote]

Wrong - A semi-enclosed fuse accepts fuse wire, a cartridge fuse is one that cannot be re-wired and is usually of a high breaking capacity

CookyMan9999 said:
LOL davey why don't you just go and sit the exam har har

Why does everyone write 'Davey' I even write my name at the bottom of every post and its next to every post I make :p

And the reason I don't sit the exam is because as ricicle has pointed out, I have a tendency to confuse certain terms and make myself look like a ******, lol.

so does anybody fancy helping me out and even letting me know what a conduit system is?

Please?!!

A conduit system is made up of various sizes of tube (steel/pvc) that have manufactured fittings available for direction changes, terminations etc.The tubes can be cut to length and bent as well to follow building contours.
Single, insulated cables are normally drawn into the tubes making wiring fairly easy once the tubes have been installed.
The conduit offers better mechanical protection, especially steel, than clipped cables and can be rewired fairly straightforwardly when or if needed
Special tools are required to install conduit, particularly steel, but when finished can look very neat

A conduit system is used to run/protect single core cables
Its basically metal tubing and mainly comes in black enamel or galvanised.

*beaten by better explanation above* :)

so am i right in saying that three functions of an electrical conduit system would be

1, the cables can bend to follow the contours of a building

2, the conduit offers better mechanical protection than clipped cables

3, it can be rewired fairly easily if needed.

Thanks everyone for all your help!!

I know it looks bad the night before the exam and i seem to have very little knowledge on the topic but it is just one out of 5 topics from my services exam for a construction management degree, so everyone thanks so much!!!

:D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back