Existing conduit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys.
Would you, during a rewire, remove the old cables and reuse the existing conduit or would you rather chase out and cap the cables. ❓❓

Thanks guys

Sponsored Links
RE-USE THE OLD CONDUIT.

Assuming you are not wishing to replaster, use the old tubes.

However, if you are having the place re-plastered, and the old tubes are metal (hard to earth), or the switch/socket heights are going to be altered, then it may be a better job to replace the conduits.

Conduit is always slightly better than capping for cable replacement. That said capping is better on new work whereplasterboard is adhered to blockwork, as it usually shallower.

Thanks for the reply pal. It's for the in laws and they've just decorated and won't want anything moved so I thought I'd check what is likely to happen. Would there be a cost difference or is it about the same ❓❓

Why has the need for a rewire come as a surprise to them? They aren't being conned by someone, are they?

Sponsored Links
Yeah may not be required but just doing a bit of research for them. As my other thread it may just need a CU change or maybe not even that.

With respect, I think you, and your parents, are doing things the wroing way round.

You seem to be worryinhg about a rewire, when a rewire may not be needed. Here's a plan for you

1. Decorating should not be done until any work on electrical, plumbing, other works has been completed!
2. Carry out an EICR on the installation. Have one done for you if you do not have the skills.
3. Carry out any essential works on the fixed wiring as highlighted by the results of the EICR
4. Change the CU, if this is one of the recommendations of the EICR
5. Retest the entire installation
6. Make good and redecorate as needed.

Thanks for your reply
That's far too logical :)
The decorating was done before any fault manifested itself.
No one is worried I just wanted to know whether the conduit would be reused or not.

To re-wire a house old enough to desperately require a re-wire is 'often' easy to do.

It should have conduits in the wall for the light switches (because they did things properly then) so new cables can be drawn through.

And re-wiring sockets can typically be down by fitting surface mounted sockets just above the skirting board so no cable is seen.

Trunkng is always an option where there are no conduits.

Cables in outside cavities aren't allowed, but no doubt if it's already been done like this this it WILL be done again. (The real world.)

I live on the same estate and there is conduit for the sockets in my house so presume it will be the same.
Thanks again guys.

There should be no issues rewiring that. I use converta sockets to double the numer of sockets without the need to brake walls.
The earthing will most likely be via the conduit, but with 2 people drawing in the cables you will manage to add a cpc.

FWIW, I would take TTC,s advice as to the sequence of works :)

DS

Ok.

Is the cable rubber or PVC?

Does the lights have earth wires?

Council houses of that age tend to be FULL CONDUIT SYSTEMS, where the conduits are continous and new wires can be drawn through without taking up floors.

Is this what you have?

And there is deffo conduit for the sockets?

Does this conduit manifest itself at the fusebox?

Don't know about conduit at theirs just guessing as I'm on the same estate and I have it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back