Existing non-conforming work

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone help me? A friend of mine is looking to install a new toilet/shower room and intends to connect the drains to the existing pipes which run from his house to his septic tank. He's getting building regs for the new work but the fall on the existing drainage pipes isn't enough to comply with builing regs (it never had building regs in the first place and has been like that for over 10 years). The do have problems with blocked drains two or three times a year. Will the building inspector accept the new drainage being connected into the existing drainage even though the existing drains don't comply? Or will he insist on either a new run to the septic tank or the existing drain run being amended so that it complies?

Sponsored Links
The inspector won't measure the fall of the existing drain so will only know there's a problem if somebody tells him/her. Having said that, now might be a good time to sort the problem out. If the inspector knows there is a problem s/he will want it solved before adding further load to the drain.

To be honest John - he/she will be able to tell the fall isn't good enough - the existing drain isn't buried underground - it runs through the adjacent garage fixed at high level to the inside of the rear wall before going through the external wall of the garage and then underground to the septic tank. It looks to the naked eye that the fall isn't steep enough (i'm surprised it doesn't get blocked more often!!) The problem is where the septic tanks is is solid rock so whoever put it in years ago didn't take out any more rock than was absolutely necessary - thats why the fall isn't great!

So you think that if he knows there could be problems with the existing drain he wont be happy adding additional load to it?

Coincidentally I worked on a project with a very similar problem, to join into the existing meant having very shallow falls for the new drainage, it was fairly apparent to BC that the existing drain runs were incorrect too and he insisted they be put right too. As jeds says though at least it'd be a good time to get them done.

Sponsored Links
Thanks guys - you've confirmed what i more or less feared myself. I also agree with you that its a great oppurtunity to sort our the existing whilst doing some work anyway. Thanks for the advice and sharing of past experiences!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back