Expanding foam exposion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After innocently knocking a brand new tin of expanding foam over in my newly decorated dining room, somehow the no nonsense tin developed a pin hole and champagne effected 2 newly painted walls. I managed to scoop it up and throw spouting can onto front lawn, I was covered in it too , not nice. Anyway there happened to be three large lobs on my new oak floor. I waited until dry and scraped off then used a foam remover for residue. Unfortunately it has left 3 unsightly marks which I can't remove ,would I need to reapply oil? The floor was prefinished. Also any ideas with the thousands of little specks on walls? I haven't even tried anything on them yet.

Sponsored Links
You should write a new thread for the floor in the flooring section and a seperate thread for the walls in the decorating section.

Happened to me once , a can went off in the back of my van overnight, good job it had a bulkhead, took me weeks of hacking at it to get it all out, should have writen the van off in hindsight.
Likewise. A pin hole in a can "grew" what looked like a bizarre monkey puzzle tree in the back of the van, fortunately it didn't get too many tools. Since then the foam gun and can go inside a sack hung on a hook in the van for transport and get taken out at the end of the day. That way should it happen again there will hopefully be less damage. It does mean thst I now have several guns as I do sometimes forget to put it back in the van in the morning

Sponsored Links
My son is a joiner (mostly shop / restaurant/Hotel fitting out)
Couple of years ago going through Leeds heard hissing in back of van .
Pin hole in full foam can managed to grab it and stick it in a newly emptied bin .
Later on way home spotted same bin lid up almost totally covered in pink foam.

Friend of mine a joiner told me he was just finishing a job and was putting his tools away, He then carelessly threw a chisel in his tool bag and all hell broke loose as it peirced the expanding foam can in the customers lounge!

Last edited:
Had one on job filling where I used foam can (no gun) on upstairs window by filling around to fix. Could not stop the flow so threw it's out the window on front grass. Customer was not happy with lawn but I think I got away with it.
I only use metal gun now and always have bin liner to hand.

Wall will need sanding and painting.
Floor will need trade that sands and treats wood floors or french polisher.
Maybe contact floor supplier and find out what was used in factory. Some sell treatment kits

Last edited:
I was having a fairly 'spirited' drive home along the back roads, when I heard something start to roll about in the boot. I didn't think much about it, but then - "Ting - shpurchhhhhhhh".
Luckily, the tin of expanding foam was fine and wedged in the corner.
Instead, a can of tyre foam had exploded - everything was a bit soggy, but I was a lot happier cleaning up that mess! :LOL:

The force that confined expanding foam can exert can be enough to cause damage.

Way back in the 1960's when injected foam cavity insulation was being promoted a neighbour set up a cowboy business installing it,

One disaster was filling a woman's pantry with foam, had to dig the food out of the foam. Then the damaged brickwork was discovered

When I worked at GEC in the 90's we had a massive contract to build a load of distribution boards. Far too many for our crew so the management brought in a number of workers from the Manchester branch for a few weeks. Great bunch of lads, good at the job and with a sense of humour to match our own. During their last week with us the banter and jokes got a little 'high-spirited', shall we say.
One of the tricks they pulled was to super glue one of our guys spanners to his bench. In retaliation he sprayed expanding foam into a number of their tool boxes during their last lunch break. By the time they came back from their 'extended' break in the works social club, (slightly the worse for wear, I might add), their tool boxes had been cleaned up on the outside and put aboard their mini-bus ready for the journey home.
On the Monday, mid way through the morning, our manager received a phone call from an irate guy warning him they would get their revenge. LOL Their entire set of tools in each box was totally encased in expanded foam.

I don't know if it was this site or another where I read this but I thought it was funny. washttps://www.songofthepaddle.co.uk/funny-expanding-foam-story-t2879.html

Invention of the devil! It has a life all its' own

I couldn't agree more!!. Fitting windows with a mate at his house. It came out a bit fast and I used 4 finders to wipe off the excess. I had a black right hand for well over a week from the dirt that continued to stick to it. I never did find anything to remove it apart from sandpaper. Disposable gloves are a must (latex free of course or a trip to the hospital). Imagine getting it in your hair, or even worse EYES. Perfect for use in revenge...

I never did find anything to remove it apart from sandpaper. Disposable gloves are a must (latex free of course or a trip to the hospital). Imagine getting it in your hair, or even worse EYES. Perfect for use in revenge...
Acetone works to a degree, providing the foam is fresh. Other than that it's a case of hot water, soap and a good scrubbing session for a few nights!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back