Expanding foam

You should not be seeing daylight between the gutter and the fascia. That will potentially let rain run down the fascia and not in to the gutter - and that will add to that awful efflorescence staining on the wall. Needs some plastic eaves tray it the roof is pitched or a drip forming if the roof is flat

I would use a piece of fascia to cover that. Cut it to a width so that it pushes that fascia out and keeps it straight not bowed like it is now, the 40mm section will go against the wall (stick with silicone) and will be within the soffit, the other end rests on top of that fascia lip again stick with silicone.

Sponsored Links
You should not be seeing daylight between the gutter and the fascia. That will potentially let rain run down the fascia and not in to the gutter - and that will add to that awful efflorescence staining on the wall. Needs some plastic eaves tray it the roof is pitched or a drip forming if the roof is flat

I would use a piece of fascia to cover that. Cut it to a width so that it pushes that fascia out and keeps it straight not bowed like it is now, the 40mm section will go against the wall (stick with silicone) and will be within the soffit, the other end rests on top of that fascia lip again stick with silicone.
That sounds so complex. I got lost halfway through. Will just get upvc trims and use silicone to seal the gap. The builder did a runner, he was meant to finish everything off but wanted money first

That sounds so complex. I got lost halfway through.
Perhaps you should not bother with this building lark then?

Here
foto_no_exif (18).jpg

I am going to order upvc trims. The gap I need to put it on is around 55mm wide. If I purchase 45mm wide upvc trims would it ok if I join a half of another upvc trim by using silicone? There is 5 pieces in the pack.

Sponsored Links
That'll fall to pieces in seconds and look sh1t. You probably wont be able to buy the exact size you need, so buy bigger and cut it down and install with the cut edge hidden.

That'll fall to pieces in seconds and look sh1t. You probably wont be able to buy the exact size you need, so buy bigger and cut it down and install with the cut edge hidden.
Ok thats fine. That is true. It wouldn’t look nice. Will get the 65mm upvc trim so that it covers it all in one go. The gap us roughly 50/55mm

Will upvc trims be cut by a craft knife? Or will I need a hacksaw?

Any fine toothed saw will work.

A hacksaw won't cut a 1m trim, and cutting 10mm off a 1m length is going to be a pig of a job

Any fine toothed saw will work.

A hacksaw won't cut a 1m trim, and cutting 10mm off a 1m length is going to be a pig of a job
Can you recommend me one then mate? Im on a budget so a cheap one would be ideal? Ideally from Amazon/Ebay. How come a hacksaw wouldn’t work?

these are the trims I ordered from amazon -
UPVC Plastic Trim 65mm x 1m x 5 Pack - White Architrave Skirting Board/Window Finishing Trim https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B084Z6R...t_i_W0XE7370VW85JZVPXP0J?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

A hacksaw wouldn’t work as it has a frame at the top. So you’d cut about 100mm before you couldn’t go any further. Have you got a jigsaw or limited to hand tools? You could get a fine tooth Jack saw from screwfix for £6-7.

clamp your trim between 2 bits of wood to hold it straight and tight or it’ll wobble and flex all over the place.

A hacksaw wouldn’t work as it has a frame at the top. So you’d cut about 100mm before you couldn’t go any further. Have you got a jigsaw or limited to hand tools? You could get a fine tooth Jack saw from screwfix for £6-7.

clamp your trim between 2 bits of wood to hold it straight and tight or it’ll wobble and flex all over the place.
I don’t have a jigsaw mate. Limited to hand tools unfortunately. Would I find the fine tooth jack saw on amazon/ebay?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back