Expanding loft hatch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I wonder if you guys could give me some advice.

I need to expand the loft hatch a bit so that I can get some loft insulation in the attic. The problem is that the ceiling is lath and plaster.

I need to extend it out, as the pic shows, by about 30cm x 50cm.

Whats the best way of going about it? What tools to use bearing in mind this is a one off so preferably don't want to spend on some high tech professional kit?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
You could get loft insulation through the hole you already have. So I can't help but wonder if there is another reason for making the access bigger

Your ceiling joists appear to run in the direction that mean it would be easy to cut through the lath, but another timber member appears to be parallel to the lath on the right side of the picture. Is it a ceiling joist or just a timber between the ceiling joists to trim the opening? Can you get a photo from above to show area on the right? At least it is too low to be a binder.

A sketch of the timbers running above the lath in that area would be very handy!

If no problems I would use a saw from below to cut through the lath and plaster and fit a new section of timber between the ceiling joists on the far right secured with screws to avoid disturbing the ceiling too much. IF the timber on the right is just trimming the opening, cut it through the middle so you can lever the ends away from the joists it is attached to. Cut off nails that are left sticking out with a hacksaw.

Watch out for any electric cables or pipes

You could get loft insulation through the hole you already have. So I can't help but wonder if there is another reason for making the access bigger

Your ceiling joists appear to run in the direction that mean it would be easy to cut through the lath, but another timber member appears to be parallel to the lath on the right side of the picture. Is it a ceiling joist or just a timber between the ceiling joists to trim the opening? Can you get a photo from above to show area on the right? At least it is too low to be a binder.

A sketch of the timbers running above the lath in that area would be very handy!

If no problems I would use a saw from below to cut through the lath and plaster and fit a new section of timber between the ceiling joists on the far right secured with screws to avoid disturbing the ceiling too much. IF the timber on the right is just trimming the opening, cut it through the middle so you can lever the ends away from the joists it is attached to. Cut off nails that are left sticking out with a hacksaw.

Watch out for any electric cables or pipes

Sorry, the figures are wrong, the existing hole is about 30cm x 40cm, so what I need to cut out is a further 30cm x 30cm. I just guessed the figures before after taking the picture. The loft insulation surveyor told me that I would need to expand it to get the rolls of insulation in.

The joist you can see runs straight through and there is another joist running along where i have put the '30' line. There is no other timber nearby and no cables.

I've just edited the picture..

OK so what I thought what might be a trimming piece of timber is just lath.

The timber on the "30" line is probably nothing more than a ceiling joist oversailing from the other side of the wall. If it is nailed to the ceiling joist alongside I would leave it. If it is just a free end not fixed to the joist then you can probably cut it back.

I would fit trimming pieces of timber (same size as the joists) between the joists (parallel to your "50" line) and cut back the lath flush with the joists and trimming pieces then line the access with a thin (say 20mm thick) board to all sides with the 20mm edge flush with the finished plaster. Then fit a loft access of your choice. - Hinged or a simple trap on battens.

Essentially all as I said before with some finishing off detail added!

Sponsored Links
OK so what I thought what might be a trimming piece of timber is just lath.

The timber on the "30" line is probably nothing more than a ceiling joist oversailing from the other side of the wall. If it is nailed to the ceiling joist alongside I would leave it. If it is just a free end not fixed to the joist then you can probably cut it back.

I would fit trimming pieces of timber (same size as the joists) between the joists (parallel to your "50" line) and cut back the lath flush with the joists and trimming pieces then line the access with a thin (say 20mm thick) board to all sides with the 20mm edge flush with the finished plaster. Then fit a loft access of your choice. - Hinged or a simple trap on battens.

Essentially all as I said before with some finishing off detail added!

thanks for your help!

what tools would you recommend for the job of cutting out the lath and plaster? Do i need a special type of saw to cut through the plaster?

what tools would you recommend for the job of cutting out the lath and plaster? Do i need a special type of saw to cut through the plaster?

No special tools, an ordinary wood saw will do. Ideally one with fine teeth. It you saw from below and let the joists guide the saw, each time you push the saw up to cut, the lath are pressed against the joist for support.

If you saw from the top you can dislodge (push) a lath from the joist causing plaster to break away. So saw from below for a tidy job.

No special tools, an ordinary wood saw will do. Ideally one with fine teeth. It you saw from below and let the joists guide the saw, each time you push the saw up to cut, the lath are pressed against the joist for support.

If you saw from the top you can dislodge (push) a lath from the joist causing plaster to break away. So saw from below for a tidy job.

Cheers for all your advice. I'll give it a go in the next week or so and report back with what a mess I have made!

Remember to check for electricity cables and or pipes where you intend to cut...

Edit: the saw will do the job, but a finer saw will do a neater job.

if you have the room cut a baton and screw underneath into the joists then you can cut in any fashion you like and the lath will be fully supported

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back