Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
4AA78257-C603-4AAC-8919-DF272FEEE20D.jpeg
5ED84FDB-7145-423E-98F1-A4E6E3594A20.jpeg
F0B1A834-F110-4B8B-AF95-28287256B1F8.jpeg
Hi all - newbie on here and would like some help

So I’m living in a Taylor Wimpey house built in the year 2000 - it had a gas fire in the living room and chimney on the roof. I decided this year that I’d like to install a log burner- however after taking out the fire I found that the clearance wasn’t enough to accommodate the log burner that we wanted.

Simple job I thought just a bit of general building work and i’m sorted, not the case as you can see from the photo I’m now faced with these 9 inch concrete rings that go up to the roof, a gather that I’m told is holding everything up thus I can’t take out any bricks/blocks from the side as it supports all above including the gather and concrete ring pipes .

Can anyone advise me or direct me on how I can do this - I’m quite happy to get a builder in if needs be.

Few photos below of where I’m at or not at as the case may be

Any thoughts ideas comments- please please please get back to me

Cheers

John

Sponsored Links
I'm certainly no expert but i'll givve my 2p worth...
I'd say you need to prop the second 'ring' with some kind of steel brace to allow you to take the first ring and that cast concrete lump. Remove necessary bricks and refit/replace the cast concrete to width/height required. You might need to remove more than you think to be able to sufficiently rebuild/support.

Thanks domdee ~ looking at it I’m thinking the more supports the better. However that gives me restricted access in/around the working area I’m hoping their are a few builders on here that might have come across something like this before and has a few more good ideas

Sponsored Links
Yep - think that’s what I’m going to have to do. Thinking of hiring one of these to assist called “No more props” looks ok and if I can also prop it either end I should be able to get in between to carry out the demolition/ building work

Many thanks to Domdee for his comments - are there any experienced builders on here who would be so kind as to offer me advice on my issue? Any comments would be very appreciated

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back