Expired passport

Good luck. They lost my birth certificate and made a right mess up leaving me to spend hours on hold trying to chase things up.
Ouch, that's nasty. What's worse is that I don't think they would accept backup copies after a loss if you have them. For online renew, they just want photo and credit card payment. A new application would involve birth certificate.

Sponsored Links
My passport has expired for 10 years and a bit. Wondering if anyone has similar experience, and did they have trouble renewing it? Searches are saying a completely new application has to be made. When I go to gov.uk, it asks if I had a passport before, implying a long expired passport may have some relevance in an application. Anyone been through this?
Happened to me this year. Because the photo was old, and photo on my driving licence also old, I just had to get a new photo done and post office sent the form - I couldn't do it online. New passport came back about a week later.

I recall that driving licensing and the Passport Agency access the same photo (they did, the last time I had cause to renew).

So, you can upload a new photo for your driving licence (as per link above), which presumably will be available for passport renewals too?

I recently renewed my passport, it was easy.

-Make sure you're on gov.uk and not some dodgy firm pretending to be them
-Use your phone or computer to take your photo - it's easy, and the application prosess guides you through it

If there's a problem in the process because your passport has expired, I'm sure that'll get flagged up in the process, with clear instructions as to what is needed

Sponsored Links
Happened to me this year. Because the photo was old, and photo on my driving licence also old, I just had to get a new photo done and post office sent the form - I couldn't do it online. New passport came back about a week later.
There's a strike on. They are saying 8 weeks.

I recently renewed my passport, it was easy.

-Make sure you're on gov.uk and not some dodgy firm pretending to be them
-Use your phone or computer to take your photo - it's easy, and the application prosess guides you through it

If there's a problem in the process because your passport has expired, I'm sure that'll get flagged up in the process, with clear instructions as to what is needed
Yes, they do allow photo upload. But, I don't want the risk of a reject and will go the asda route. Unlike old booths, the modern ones let you make multiple attempts. That's good enough for what I need. But privacy won't be great. The booth will keep a copy in the cloud somewhere, presumably in perpetuity.

I used a booth, they are quite clever really. I still prefer having a photo taken, used to go to Snappy Snaps I think.

Yes, they do allow photo upload. But, I don't want the risk of a reject and will go the asda route. Unlike old booths, the modern ones let you make multiple attempts. That's good enough for what I need. But privacy won't be great. The booth will keep a copy in the cloud somewhere, presumably in perpetuity.
Same as any pictures you backup on any device or your friends put on Facebook.
The picture doesn't have any personal details, it's just a picture of a random person (you) stored on the provider's server.
If you're concerned you can tell them to delete it after the passport office approves your picture.
They must do that under data protection legislation.

Even pictures of a random person has value. They would have your facial biometrics. You will appear as a blip on someone's screen whenever you go past a camera. Once you are in the system, you would be tethered for life. The front companies can go through the motions of deletion. It wouldn't be too useful. Don't worry, I am only speculating.

An immediate photo rejection is good. A reject mid-way through the process would be bad. I think the process is part manual where someone has to decide if you are still the same person in the last passport. My last photo was 20 years ago. They didn't have the facial biometrics then. So the assessment would be manual for my renew. Future assessments would likely to be automatic.

An immediate photo rejection is good. A reject mid-way through the process would be bad. I think the process is part manual where someone has to decide if you are still the same person in the last passport. My last photo was 20 years ago. They didn't have the facial biometrics then. So the assessment would be manual for my renew. Future assessments would likely to be automatic.
If the biometric system doesn't match they'll ask to authenticate the photo by a person of authority (gp, accountant, priest, etc.).
Full list on the website.
For a passport expired 10 years ago it's very likely.
Not a problem though, it's all done online in a few minutes.
My neighbour just renewed his after 15 years and our other neighbour, an accountant, did his photo authentication.

My passport expired 3 years ago and I renewed it this year, quite easy to renew, had pic taken in a booth and you get a code to enter so they can access your mug shot. Be aware that this code is only valid for a certain time. I think they are or were using up old stock as it still states "Her Britannic Majesty" inside.

Who can confirm your identity?

Would a plumber come under engineer with professional qualifications?
  • accountant
  • airline pilot
  • articled clerk of a limited company
  • assurance agent of recognised company
  • bank or building society official
  • barrister
  • chairman or director of a limited company
  • chiropodist
  • commissioner for oaths
  • councillor, for example local or county
  • civil servant (permanent)
  • dentist
  • director, manager or personnel officer of a VAT-registered company
  • engineer with professional qualifications
  • financial services intermediary, for example a stockbroker or insurance broker
  • fire service official
  • funeral director
  • insurance agent (full time) of a recognised company
  • journalist
  • Justice of the Peace
  • legal secretary (fellow or associate member of the Institute of Legal Secretaries and PAs)
  • licensee of a public house
  • local government officer
  • manager or personnel officer of a limited company
  • member, associate or fellow of a professional body
  • Member of Parliament
  • Merchant Navy officer
  • minister of a recognised religion (including Christian Science)
  • nurse (RGN or RMN)
  • officer of the armed services
  • optician
  • paralegal (certified paralegal, qualified paralegal or associate member of the Institute of Paralegals)
  • person with honours, for example an OBE or MBE
  • pharmacist
  • photographer (professional)
  • police officer
  • Post Office official
  • president or secretary of a recognised organisation
  • Salvation Army officer
  • social worker
  • solicitor
  • surveyor
  • teacher or lecturer
  • trade union officer
  • travel agent (qualified)
  • valuer or auctioneer (fellow or associate members of the incorporated society)
  • Warrant Officers and Chief Petty Officers

My passport expired 3 years ago and I renewed it this year, quite easy to renew, had pic taken in a booth and you get a code to enter so they can access your mug shot. Be aware that this code is only valid for a certain time. I think they are or were using up old stock as it still states "Her Britannic Majesty" inside.

Why are you renewing it?

Sponsored Links
Back