Exposed downlight socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

It'll be a few days until I'm able to fit a new downlight in the bathroom. Until then the socket will be exposed to steam if the shower is used. The empty downlight socket is directly above the shower. Is this dangerous?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
It'll be a few days until I'm able to fit a new downlight in the bathroom. Until then the socket will be exposed to steam if the shower is used. The empty downlight socket is directly above the shower. Is this dangerous?
Electricity and water and people should never mix.
Either don't shower.
Or seal the area off so that steam cannot access the lighting unit.
Or switch off the mains power to the lights and seal the hole.
Or disconnect the lighting unit put the cables into suitable IP rated junction box and then seal off the hole.
See the theme here ;) Steam in your loft is not good either.

Tape the wires up individually so they are well insulated (and stick the wire in a bag if you think moisture could still be a problem) and push the whole lot back in the void.

Best practice is start and finish, no need for temporary fixes. Just don't go down the route of leaving it as a slash up for more than a day or so.

Exposed is the word and there's no way round it, so get the mind set of completion, safety, done.

Sponsored Links
Thanks everyone. I'm taping and bagging and blocking the void till I fix the bulb.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back