Extended alarm cable not working

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As I posted in past I was looking to move my existing alarm PIR and door contacts to new extension.

The builders prepared cables from the point of previous location to new one and all looked fine but now having real trouble connecting them up.
On one extended cable the PIR simply won't power up. It works on the original cable and also if I add a short cable but when I connect to the new long cable it doesn't work! I cannot for life of me work out why. Cable to long? Wrong quality?
I can power it up when connected to a second cable I had prepared for a door contact but the open/close alarm connections don't register on the system so if I do a walk test the PIR works and lights show that movement detected but the system doesn't see it.

It is 6 core alarm cable. I am really stuck.

Any ideas?

Sponsored Links
If you are extending existing cable double check the connecting joints and the connection to the device.
Run a loose cable to new position if ok then problem with damage
As above could be damaged

Thanks I will get cables checked for continuity.

Is it possible that the voltage is dropping due to connection, length and thinness of cable?

On one cable I did manage to get the power through but weirdly only if I wrapped a totally seperate unconnected cable onto it?? But then the open/close refused to register.

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
If all fails I will just have to add ricochet.

I remember that it needs to be connected to a keypadk correct?

I already have 2 keypads but both in position where I wouldn't want to add a ricochet box. Can I just cancel the problematic zone from the control panel in the cupboard and add a keypad to there and ricochet on that, or have I used all the keypad zones?

This is an elite panel?

a PIR would only need 4 wires so you have two spare, seems a shame that your original wires appear intact but your new cables are damaged, not sure how the builders have managed that.

This is an elite panel?

a PIR would only need 4 wires so you have two spare, seems a shame that your original wires appear intact but your new cables are damaged, not sure how the builders have managed that.
Yes it is elite panel.

Would adding ricochet work as I described above?

what panel do you have and do you already have wireless expander and how many zones are in use currently

Elite 24. No wireless expander (unless you mean comwifi).

All zones currently used hence my thought of cancelling out the problematic zones which are 1 X PIR and 1 X door contacts and install a keypad/ ricochet on there and then I have ability to add everything I want, or have I misunderstood the concept?

okay an elite 24 has available 24 zones.

so how many of those 24 zones have you used up and how. ie what zones numbers are occupied with a hard wired device.

you need at least 8 free zones to add an 8XP-W to your system and use upto 8 wireless devices.
You are right. I thought there were only 8 in panel. There are unused ones as below. Keypads arent mentioned on any zone.

1.jpg

you can add an 8XP-W and possibly 32XP-W, but you have 4 zones assigned to the keypad so 12 zones free, depends if you need more than 8 zones or not I guess.

1 x 32XP-W is cheaper usually than 2 8XP-W, depends on how many zones you need I guess.

you can add an 8XP-W and possibly 32XP-W, but you have 4 zones assigned to the keypad so 12 zones free, depends if you need more than 8 zones or not I guess.

1 x 32XP-W is cheaper usually than 2 8XP-W, depends on how many zones you need I guess.
And is it possible to connect straight to panel or does it need to be to a keypad.

And why would the installer have assigned 4 zones to keypads?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back