Extended alarm cable not working

the wireless expander connects to the network, best place to wire it is into the panel network terminals

Sponsored Links
I haven't seen your layout or know what your requirements were.

but there are a few ways to add zones to your panel;-

1. hard wired to the panel
2. hard wired to an expander(in the case of a 24 an internal or external expander)
3. hard wired to a keypad
4. wirelessly

as for cost effective, an internal expander (8XE) is cheaper than an (8XP), the 8XE is physically plugged into the alarm panel, the 8XP is wired to the network. each would allow you to hardwire 8 zones.
the price of a keypad is more expensive than an expander, however cable wise it may be less labour intensive and if you wanted two keypads why pay for an expander when you don't need one?

I was recently asked to add a keypad to another entrance, now as it happens there is a PIR in that location its some distance from the main panel, so cheapest option for the customer, is to move the pir wires in the panel to the network at the PIR end take the PIR off, extend the cables and wire in the keypad, and have the PIR come off the keypad.

The alternative would be to run a new cable, take up the floor in several rooms to run a new cable to the desired location, which takes time to lift and put back, when a simplier solution is already available.

The main difference he was on a 48, so zones 41 to 48 can only come off keypads now, so he has 8 free zones to utilise on his keypads that wont affect him adding more zone expanders at a later date.

hope it explains why they may have done this.

Just to make sure I haven't made a mistake in my description.

Pic below is my panel. Is the network port available for the ricochet? Where is it?

08032018242.jpg

Attachments

• 08032018242.jpg
    08032018242.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 186
where you have two sets of red, black, blue yellow, it wires in there, says NETWORK above it.

wont make any comment on who installed the panel

Sponsored Links
Have you got 2 live bell boxes ?
Looks like the tamper are in parallel if you have on the bell boxes ?

I said I wasn't going to make comment on who installed the panel like that, so I wont publically.

Is that all that bothers you Handymanjo, although I agree that it would appear so?

you can add an 8XP-W and possibly 32XP-W, but you have 4 zones assigned to the keypad so 12 zones free, depends if you need more than 8 zones or not I guess.

1 x 32XP-W is cheaper usually than 2 8XP-W, depends on how many zones you need I guess.

SO if I have 12 zones available in the panel and install a 32xp then I will only be able to use 12 of the 32 zones?

okay this may seem a little mad, but how many zones are you thinking of adding and with what devices?

just it could be more cost effective believe it or not to look at a KIT-0005 if you are thinking of adding 4 PIRS, theres 2 DT-W (£60+ each) and 2 x QD-W (£50 +each) total over £220+, plus a 32 XP-W (£70+) there's £300 there plus a new keypad. That would also mean you could use your existing zones and take full advantage of the 32XP-W.

Not to mention the panel included and you could probably get something for the elite 24 on Ebay with a keypad?

okay this may seem a little mad, but how many zones are you thinking of adding and with what devices?

just it could be more cost effective believe it or not to look at a KIT-0005 if you are thinking of adding 4 PIRS, theres 2 DT-W (£60+ each) and 2 x QD-W (£50 +each) total over £220+, plus a 32 XP-W (£70+) there's £300 there plus a new keypad. That would also mean you could use your existing zones and take full advantage of the 32XP-W.

Not to mention the panel included and you could probably get something for the elite 24 on Ebay with a keypad?

If I was in a very brave mood and prelabeled all the cables to remember where they go and I install and reconnect cables to the 48 would I be able to simply flash a my current config from the wintex file created with my current 24 panel or would all need reconfiguring?

Currently all I really need to add is 4 x door impact contacts and 2 x PIR's and mabe a smoke detctor (already have wired but with these I could get remote notification) and possibly a outdoor PIR (unless these are a pain with false alarms - we frequently get visited by foxes.) Seems an 8 zone would be enough.

yes, the best way to do that is:-

open the file, edit panel details, change to elite 48, "save as" and save it as new profile and keep your old one.

contacts or shocks, if contacts I would opt for the micro contacts so much more discrete, if shocks you may want to wait until the micro shocks come out.

your on the edge of making that decision, in kit 5 there are two contact-w as well as the 4 PIR's, the maths is there for you to work it out and it maybe a close call.

you can get help here to get things sorted, plus you can sort out the other niggles at the same time???

yes, the best way to do that is:-

open the file, edit panel details, change to elite 48, "save as" and save it as new profile and keep your old one.

contacts or shocks, if contacts I would opt for the micro contacts so much more discrete, if shocks you may want to wait until the micro shocks come out.

your on the edge of making that decision, in kit 5 there are two contact-w as well as the 4 PIR's, the maths is there for you to work it out and it maybe a close call.

you can get help here to get things sorted, plus you can sort out the other niggles at the same time???
Ok, thanks so much. Ignore PM as answered here - hopefully help future generations. Decisions....

I want to buy the PCB interface and usb com cable to bring fw up to date in anticipation of ricochet. I have current config backed up to Wintex. I am on version 2.11.

As above, currently no ricochet. Is it simple process to update or will I need to reconfigure the devices after?

Just. Warning .....finally got a smart com saved panel data , did the flash upgrade from v2 to v4 updated the account to a v4 uploaded ....all zone setting was fine ...all other settings defaulted users , global ect ....lucky I printed out beforehand

Just. Warning .....finally got a smart com saved panel data , did the flash upgrade from v2 to v4 updated the account to a v4 uploaded ....all zone setting was fine ...all other settings defaulted users , global ect ....lucky I printed out beforehand
So is there a correct way to do this without losing all the data?

Where did you print the info from? Screen grabs?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back