extending 1950's bungalow with flintlock gutters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I need some advice please. We have a 1950s chalet style bungalow with flintlock guttering all round. We are looking to extend the rear of the bungalow to accommodate my mum. The total extension will be 75 square metres - open plan kitchen diner, extending the existing lounge. Therefore we need to remove large portions of the back exterior wall in order to enlarge the existing rooms. The architect had no knowledge of the existing guttering and we need to find an engineer . Has anyone had experience removing flintlock gutters and installing lintels??

Sponsored Links
its more trouble tan its worth just get it all removed.
its not rocket science. I think there info n this site and you tube

i agree its not rocket science no matter what kind of roof, pitched or flat, and your going to get a lot of disturbance so it might be best to remove all the finlock.
i dont think its a DIY job - scaff and a stihl cutter are needed and you'll probably run into timber rot at the eaves and maybe wwater damageinside the bungalow.

its not a job i'm doing but trying to find a builder with experience with flint lock gutter is proving hard on the isle of wight, considering the age there in very good condition no rot on timbers and no leaking we have sealed them every year,i'll ring some more builders up today, i'm unsure how they are constructed as there is no lintels above the windows, thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
Opening up with large openings require deep steel beams which means that the concrete gutter sections would need to come out anyway to accommodate the beams. It's straightforward, albeit messy.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back