Extending 8m on a sloped garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning all,

I want to buy a house that has a 2m drop via steps in to the garden.

so therefore when I extend 8 metres out for a large kitchen/family room I would have internal stairs down in to this area

the question I have is by the time the extension is down on garden level it will be approx 5m high.

has anyone come across this before and do you think I’ll get it past planning?

I’ll attach photos of the back of the house you’ll notice an existing extension, the idea would be to knock that down and rebuild it along the entire back of the house and carry on at the existing extension roof height another 4.5m. I’ll also attach some ideas of the type of extension I’m talking about.

Attachments

• 39E0F553-DE0D-4332-9E21-6A5470F34AD3.jpeg
    39E0F553-DE0D-4332-9E21-6A5470F34AD3.jpeg
    309.7 KB · Views: 124
  • AEEFD449-4428-4852-8036-83497DAB1C69.jpeg
    AEEFD449-4428-4852-8036-83497DAB1C69.jpeg
    531.8 KB · Views: 133
  • 0249F799-1B45-4302-91A3-52D288805F2B.jpeg
    0249F799-1B45-4302-91A3-52D288805F2B.jpeg
    552.2 KB · Views: 118
Sponsored Links
You should get a professional opinion by a suitable person if the purchase will depend on this plan to extend - and even then the best you may get is a "maybe" but that will be better than a "no chance".

Alternatively, put a planning application in whilst the sale is going through.

Above all, whether before or after purchase you would be wise to use someone who actually knows about planning and design and not just any old plan monkey who will just draw a box on the back of the house

You should get a professional opinion by a suitable person if the purchase will depend on this plan to extend - and even then the best you may get is a "maybe" but that will be better than a "no chance".

Alternatively, put a planning application in whilst the sale is going through.

Above all, whether before or after purchase you would be wise to use someone who actually knows about planning and design and not just any old plan monkey who will just draw a box on the back of the house

hi Woody

thanks for your reply, I of course will seek a professional opinions.

I’m asking in here, because someone may have come across this before.

I’m asking in here, because someone may have come across this before.
They may have, but may not have in that road with those houses around there, or with your council's specific local policies. And that's a fundamental difference.

Sponsored Links
If it can be done via a permitted development build, the height is always measured from the highest ground level adjacent to the extension. So if you went for a simple flat roof extension and had to be under 2.5m, if the ground slopes down by 2m, you could actually be 4.5m at the lowest ground level, so long as the extension at some point adjacent is under 2.5m

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back