Extending a light circuit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2nd question of the day - I have a light in my garden at the moment and want to add more lights to this circuit.

As I'm not installing a new circuit in the garden, just 'extending' an existing one, do I still need to inform the local council of this? Or can it be done without informing the council?

Also, how many lights can be fitted to 1 switch? I'm thinking of putting in approximately 8 lights around the garden (brick lights and maybe some decking lights) - Is this too many? What would be a safe number?

Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Either that or get a lecky who can self certify in right?

Any idea on max number of lights that can go on to this 1 circuit as well? Work won't be done till mid spring time yet but would like to maybe order the lights well before that.

the amount of lights you can add on depends somewhat on how many are already on the circuit, get somebody out to quote you and they will be better able to advise you

Sponsored Links
Either that or get a lecky who can self certify in right?
yep
Any idea on max number of lights that can go on to this 1 circuit as well?
depends on the rating of the protective device on the circuit, what load is suitable.
For example if this circuit is protected by a 6A MCB.
This can be multiplied by the nominal voltage say 230V. This will then give you the maximum power output in watts.
6 X 230 = 1380W
Dependant on the fitting and the maximum lamp value in watts that can be used. Will determined your maximum load.
So for instance in old money, if the lamp had a wattage of 100W the 1380 would be divided be 100, this would allow you 13 Lamps in circuit. That's the whole circuit. So if this part of the circuit is also connected to other lights say in house, garage, shed etc they will be included.

I would also add to PBOD's post that you need to consider the size and type of cable you are using and how the circuit is protected. For example you will probably need SWA cable and ensure the circuit is additionally protected by an RCD.
Furthermore, if you have a large garden then you may need to increase the standard 1/1.5mm2 cable to something higher.

Not too large a garden - approximately 4 meters by 8 meters in total. The circuit will be RCD protected.

SWA - The cable will not be buried underground at any point, it'll all be either run along walls - approximately 2 meters high off of the ground and maybe inside some walls. Should SWA be used here or could standard cable sleeved in polypropylene flexible conduit be used as well?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back