Extending double socket

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
In a small bedroom I have 1 double socket.
I need to now put another double socket on the other side of the room.
This socket will be for a bedside cabinet light & phone charger. On the occasion that either might be unplugged for the vacuum.
Please can you advise which wire I need to purchase.
Can this be used with a plug & then inserted into the currently used double socket as if it was an extension lead or must the wire connection be made through the side of the socket & connect in behind.
Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Is the circuit RCD protected?

Is the circuit a ring, or a radial?

If the latter, what size cable is it wired with, and what's the rating of the fuse/MCB?

If it's a ring, is the donor socket on the ring, or is it a spur itself?

If the latter, is it a fused or unfused one?

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/House_Wiring_for_Beginners#Word_Meanings
http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/House_Wiring_for_Beginners#Sockets
https://www.diynot.com/wiki/Electrics:Socket-Circuits

Can this be used with a plug & then inserted into the currently used double socket as if it was an extension lead
It can be, but that's a pretty nasty, bodged way of doing it.

or must the wire connection be made through the side of the socket & connect in behind.

Much better.

Take note of the rules for concealed cables: https://www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:walls

The extra wire would be clipped just above skirting. There is a bed then in front of the skirting.

OK - that addresses the last point.

There are still the first 5 questions, all of which are highly relevant to how you would have to go about this.

Sponsored Links
1,Fuse box has the levers that flip when say there is a fault & you need to flip them again to turn back on.
2,Can it be checked if I pop off the front of the socket and see the amount of wires etc ?
3,will need to check
4,how would I tell
5,I can say flipping the lever at the Fusebox for sockets then the socket in question is dead.
This is in a bungalow.

Is this the answers you are looking for.

Thanks.

1. Does one cover a bank of circuits? Have a Test button? Photo would be useful.
  2. That would give useful info, along with the rating of the MCB, and knowing how many conductors are connected to it inside the CU.
  3. See #2 - how many cables connected to it would be useful to know.
  4. Park this until more is known about the socket.

Yes, 1 bank of circuits.
The item is marked B32

Attachments

• 6D1B7E63-8BC1-4137-BD52-BC741A77BF4E.jpeg
    6D1B7E63-8BC1-4137-BD52-BC741A77BF4E.jpeg
    227.4 KB · Views: 168
These are the 2 sockets in the room.
As you can see that one of them is joined together with block connectors & has 2 wires of each colour. This socket has a blank cover over it.
The other socket is in use and has 1 wire of each colour.

The item with a blank over it why would that be I wonder ?

I have one of those electrical tools which beep when you touch the wire.
I will try that in ten minutes etc and let you know the outcome.

Attachments

• D65347A7-D29B-4A83-89AC-8DCD3E7AADB5.jpeg
    D65347A7-D29B-4A83-89AC-8DCD3E7AADB5.jpeg
    249.6 KB · Views: 183
  • 22AB01E6-F7A2-439F-96B9-0A2743D54509.jpeg
    22AB01E6-F7A2-439F-96B9-0A2743D54509.jpeg
    221 KB · Views: 206
Ok
So using the tool in the attached photo & touching the joined red wires in the back box which has the blanking cover on the buzzer sounds.

So if I can just now use a double socket in place of the blanking plate then all will be ok and my original plan would not be necessary.

Question is, why is there a blanking cove on it ?

Attachments

• A9F45099-8492-4B47-A814-EF00D9F7EAB1.jpeg
    A9F45099-8492-4B47-A814-EF00D9F7EAB1.jpeg
    302.4 KB · Views: 148
Question is, why is there a blanking cove on it ?
It could be because only one socket is allowed on a spur and the previous owner wanted it extended to elsewhere.

Are you certain that the socket wire comes from the connectors?
I obviously cannot tell from here but the cables in the two pictures appear to be unrelated and separate.

When you say "Are you certain that the socket wire comes from the connectors" are you talking about the wires in the box with the blanking plate ?

If yes please explain as i dont understand what you have wrote.

When you say "Are you certain that the socket wire comes from the connectors" are you talking about the wires in the box with the blanking plate ?

If yes please explain as i dont understand what you have wrote.
This cable:

upload_2018-11-19_12-40-46.png

Where's the other end?

Hmm I dont know.

How can i check ?

What if i disconnect the wires in the box with the blanking plate and then see if these wires become dead ?
Please advise

Not exactly.
I don't think the other end of the cable connected to the socket is at the blank plate.
The socket cable looks a lot newer than the cables at the blank plate.
If it had been extended then I would think that one of the earth wires would have green and yellow sleeving like the socket one.

What if i disconnect the wires in the box with the blanking plate and then see if these wires become dead ?
Yes, just disconnect the black wires - terminate both safely - and see if the socket still works.

In the box with the blanking plate i have separated the 2 black wires.
This was done when i plugged a lamp into the double socket.
The lamp still works.
So with these 2 black wires separated & the lamp still working tells us that these 2 sockets are not connected to each other.
I assume that is correct ?

So now to put a new double socket in this room can i join my new length of wire "5 meters" into the same double socket connections.
This then means leaving the item with the blanking plate untouched.

Please advise thanks

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back