Extending Heated Towel Rail Element Flex

I've suggested that, but it seems it's not easy: I've had no reply to the suggestion anyhow.

Sponsored Links
How easy to lift a floorboard or two on the landing and get a cable from somewhere and fit the spur on the landing?

Relatively easy - it needs kneeling again anyway it feels really loose. The problem is where I get the flex from as any cutting joining under the boards will need to be accessible or properly crimped?

All the 2.5mm flex runs across the landing from the bathroom.

I would expect CABLES under the landing floor rather than FLEX.

Can you see on the landing the cable that goes into the bathroom to feed the original spur?

If so, you should be able to either pull it out, or extend, to a new switch position on the landing.

If you need to join the cable, your best bet is a Ashley/Hager 32 amp maintenance free three terminal junction box.

I would expect CABLES under the landing floor rather than FLEX.

Can you see on the landing the cable that goes into the bathroom to feed the original spur?

If so, you should be able to either pull it out, or extend, to a new switch position on the landing.

If you need to join the cable, your best bet is a Ashley/Hager 32 amp maintenance free three terminal junction box.

Sorry thats my bad use of terminology! 2.5mm T&E :)

From tiling the bathroom I found the lighting cables are behind the shower in the corner (void created by D&D) and the existing spur must run under the shower so it doesnt run as far as the landing. I suspect the rest of the socket cabling continues form this point to the landing and splits off to the bedrooms

I'm thinking leaving the existing spur, running some new cable up the wall inside the bathroom (in the D&D void) and then down the existing channel for the bathroom light switch. I could fit it there next to the light switch without damaging the walls and having to patch it up.

Plan?

Sponsored Links
If you can find a socket cable under the landing floor you could be in luck.

Running the cable behind the dot and dab may not be very easy is the void is small or a dot in the way.

If you can find a socket cable under the landing floor you could be in luck.

I'm 99% sure they are there as I distinctly remember all the boards up on the landing. It's the only reasonable way to route them form the consumer unit around the upstairs

This could be the easiest way.

Might be an idea to lift a board and have a look. You never know, you may find a junction box which may assist in determining whether the cable is suitable for breaking into or not.

Sorry, have we established if the existing outlet in the bathroom is controlled from elsewhere?

You did say in response to a related question, "It's a switched spur", but there is no switch visible in your piccies.

Might be worth lifting a board or two on the landing and if they run the "right" way, you may be able to shine a torch down the relevant channel between the joists and use a mirror to see where the cable goes from the towel rail point.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back