Extending ring main

How do you mean EFL? I thought the regs, to put it simply, was only one spur off an existing socket on the ring?

There is no reg to say that. The number of spurs off an existing socket on a ring is limited by the number of cables you can get in.

But you cannot spur off an existing spur.

Sponsored Links
How do you mean EFL? I thought the regs, to put it simply, was only one spur off an existing socket on the ring?
I misread your post thinking you meant more than one double socket on a spur.

As Winston has said, there is no such regulation which is why I have suggested that already but you said the route was not suitable.

Sponsored Links
So what?

You still only have two sockets on the spur.

I have explained why it is safe. It is up to you what you do.

So what?

You still only have two sockets on the spur.

I have explained why it is safe. It is up to you what you do.

I only have 1 socket on the spur... I then have another socket on the spur of the spur? In technical terms is that the same as what your saying?

Even if Winston had a copy of the regulations to quote, or even read, he's too busy at the moment getting other threads locked.

The key point is whether the cable can be overloaded or not.
One socket is limited to 13A due to the fuse in the plug, a double theoretically to 26A as there would be 2x13A fuses.
Two singles is still 2x13A.

Whether it's a ring or not, or whatever size cables and protective devices are used, the cable still needs to be protected against overload.
A spur from a ring just happens to have to overload protection and the end (in the plug fuses) rather than at the consumer unit.

The 'no spurs from spurs' mess is just a grossly simplified thing to prevent people (those who neither care about or understand how circuits work) from installing multiple sockets on a single 2.5mm² cable from a ring, which would remove the overload protection for that cable.

Finally - consider that cube shaped adaptors that allow 2 plugs to be connected to a single socket exist, and they are usually unfused.

I would consider it good practice to only connect one spur at any one point in a ring final.

Well, if it's in the middle, it won't make any difference how many you have. More important near the ends.

Mmm. But your average DIY'er won't know at what point on the ring they are proposing to add extra load.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back