Extending socket down the wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a few sockets currently too high that need to sit 50cm lower in a vertical plane.

The existing holes need filling over and then will be plastered over.

Can i just check im doing right.

Do i use one of these to extend the ring main cables down to the new socket?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/wago-jun...7KSHyPCAn1Qu1EnlRfxoCP84QAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Do they fit in the current double gang cavity after ive removed the old knockout box?

Thanks for your thoughts in advance.

Sponsored Links
Why do they need to be moved?

do the cables come down from above? Or up from below?

Why do they need to be moved?

do the cables come down from above? Or up from below?

Wrong height need to be lower for aesthetic and ergonomic reasons.

All cables in loft. Ok you going to recommend i pull the old pair and add a box in loft space?

Sponsored Links
The latest recommendations are that sockets are high enough for wheelchair users. Don’t know your age but think of the future.

So far ive had

'why do you want to move them?'
and
'keep them high think of the future'

Please im just asking the best way of doing it, im not living for tomorrow and i dont think the reason why is anything other than 'because i want to'

I think i know i just thought id ask here to confirm. Ive given advice many times on here and other forums, i do always try and put myself in the OPs position and help them out much as poss, we all started at the beginning once.

Yes you have had a lot of comments you don't want to hear, but that it because joining cables in a wall and plastering over is it not ideal. I should think post number 5 had you seething.

Important question - are the walls solid (brick or block) or hollow (studwork and plasterboard)?

The item you have shown is not particularly suitable to go in a solid wall, so you would be better off rewiring, and having any joints in the loftspace.

You could use line crimps in the existing recesses, and heat shrinking over, only if the cables are in safe zones. In other words, fit the new boxes exactly in line with the old box positions.

If you do use line crimps, you would use blue ones for 2.5mm2 wires and red ones for 1.5mm2 wires.

Last edited:
Yes you have had a lot of comments you don't want to hear, but that it because joining cables in a wall and plastering over is it not ideal.

Absolutely hence me asking how should i approach it only using logic from my own line of work:

My train of thought was something like. Assess the options within the constraints of the regs.

"Do you have loft space above the room?"
Yes i do.

"Cut old ring main cables within accessible loft space and extend new cabling (2.5mm TNE of course) with Wago maint free connectors therefore mitigating cable insulation and conductor continuity requirements running direct to the new position.

OR

Otherwise to comply with 526.3 you must crimp and insulate in accordance to regs before burying in the wall."

Which one? Come to think of it the first option could be best then. WAGO221's suffice?

I should think post number 5 had you seething.
Sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Important question - are the walls solid (brick or block) or hollow (studwork and plasterboard)?
Solid and black early 50's style unpleasant stuff.

The item you have shown is not particularly suitable to go in a solid wall, so you would be better off rewiring, and having any joints in the loftspace.

You could use line crimps in the existing recesses, and heat shrinking over, only if the cables are in safe zones. In other words, fit the new boxes exactly in line with the old box positions.

If you do use line crimps, you would use blue ones for 2.5mm2 wires and red ones for 1.5mm2 wires.

OK i thankyou for the crimp detail.

So are the 221's or others suitable for connecting ring main and extending as described above?

It may be that your existing cables are in oval conduit or similar, which may mean you can draw new cables in so less chasing and no hidden joints.

I am reliably informed the 'wagos' are not compliant as maintenance free if inaccessible UNLESS in their own special wagobox.

Load of nonsense IMO, but it is a fact apparently, so there it is.

If it's a 1950's building, then by now it has already been rewired at least once, or else is overdue for it.

If the socket circuits come down from the ceiling perhaps it is a bungalow with concrete floors.

New connections in the loft would be a convenient solution.

Some photos showing layout and condition of cables would be helpful.

A home of that age may well have conduit, which can make it easier, but it might be steel slip-joint.

Plastic conduit will make it easier for the next owner who wants sockets in the more convenient position to current standards.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back