Extending the landing

Do you mean to fit a new joist where the blue line is and board over the orange gap to make the upstairs hallway wider?

View attachment 338538
Correct. I misunderstood in my first post.

It could be faffy where his proposed new floor strikes the rise of the quarter turn stringer. That's why I asked. Its not obvious in the photo.

Sponsored Links
I reckon you'd get away with doing it off the newel; there's not a lot of dead load being added, the stairs already are proven to carry the live load and despite the hall getting wider, I don't expect the new bit of floor will carry any exceptional load that isn't borne mostly by the old floor anyway, given the small width increase

Take a picture from the other end of the upstairs handrail, and one looking up the downstairs handrail

I reckon you'd get away with doing it off the newel; there's not a lot of dead load being added, the stairs already are proven to carry the live load and despite the hall getting wider, I don't expect the new bit of floor will carry any exceptional load that isn't borne mostly by the old floor anyway, given the small width increase

Take a picture from the other end of the upstairs handrail, and one looking up the downstairs handrail
IMG_8349.jpeg
IMG_8348.jpeg

IMG_8350.jpeg

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back