Extending Washing Machine Flex in Bathroom Cupboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Place I moved into had a bathroom utility cupboard, originally with sockets at the back of a shelf. Did my reading here and thought I had a problem with sockets in bathroom but electrician told me all I needed to do was wire appliances directly into 13A FCUs.

The washer and dryer are each going to be wired into their own 13A FCU and which is part of a 20A RCD protected Radial circuit.

I read the topics on here about extending washing machine flex. I'd like to lengthen the cable a little as currently the FCUs are behind the appliances, meaning I'd have to remove the appliances to change a fuse or even isolate them, doesn't seem right.

With the bathroom cupboard location, can I extend the appliance cable?

I was wondering if I could use a hylec waterproof inline plug/socket so the machines are easy to remove for repairs etc?

https://www.screwfix.com/p/teeplug-...gclsrc=aw.ds&dclid=CL7TnafAotcCFaGHUQodaZIAGQ

Appreciate any thoughts!

Sponsored Links
If I understand you correctly, the sockets are not in the bathroom, but in a bathroom cupboard. So they are fine as is.

Thanks for your message. Regardless, the sockets are already gone. What I'd like to do is move the FCUs to an accessible location, which would mean another metre of flex, how can I extend?

Sponsored Links
Thanks for your message. Regardless, the sockets are already gone. What I'd like to do is move the FCUs to an accessible location, which would mean another metre of flex, how can I extend?

Well put the sockets back, or get new ones. Having FCU's is hassle for servicing or replacement. Are you saying the FCU or prievous sockets are on flex rather than part of the radial?

I'd like to lengthen the cable a little as currently the FCUs are behind the appliances, meaning I'd have to remove the appliances to change a fuse or even isolate them, doesn't seem right.

If you need to replace the fuse chances are the machine is faulty and you'd have to move them anyway to find the fault. Isolation is not needed on a day to day basis, there is a switch of some sort on the front panel.

The washer and dryer are each going to be wired into their own 13A FCU and which is part of a 20A RCD protected Radial circuit.
Radial 20A so wire a switch into the FCU feeds, you can easy get a 20A switch. But I have never switched off my washing machine or tumble drier, I have an isolation switch so I can, but never used it. Years ago I will admit it was required, if a washing machine weight came loose it could wreck a kitchen as it bounced around, however today washing machines have out of balance sensors, it the cloths are not balanced when it comes to spin, it stops and tries to restart so many times, then if it can't get balance switches off, so it is extremely unlikely any modern machine will go amuck so no real reason for isolator any more.

Thanks for your help everyone, I think I'll not worry about accessing the FCUs and keep things simple!

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back