extending wiriing for light switch

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hi guys i have a small problem,

i want to change the location of a light switch....the problem is there is not enough slack in one of the wires.

The switch is a 2 gangway 2 way switch for for the upstairs/downstairs hallway. I think its the 2 way wire which is not long enough...its got a grey, brown and blue wires inside the sleeving.

is there any way of extending the wire...i was thinking a juction box..if so should i use a 20 amp junction box or a 30 amp box

cheers in advance!

Sponsored Links
I did the same not long ago, although since it is a screwed connection then the junction box must remain accessible.

A lighting circuit is usually 6 amps so you could use a 10 amp JB.

You can use crimps instead of a JB - they don't need to be accessible for inspection.

B U T

When you move the switch, will the cables still be in an approved zone?

Remember, if the extended cable is standard t&e and will be installed less than 50mm from the surface then RCD protection will be required.
Safe wiring zones still apply.

Sponsored Links
You can use crimps instead of a JB - they don't need to be accessible for inspection.

B U T

When you move the switch, will the cables still be in an approved zone?

sorry for my ignorance...but how do you crimp and what is a safe zone?
and whats this about being less then 50 mm from the service

i am moving the downstairs hall switch about 2 feet.. the wiring is in a studwall partition and so i guess it will be about 25mm from the surface

Ratchet crimping tool

safezones.jpg

You have to comply with any one of five options from 522.6.6 if cables are going to be concealed in walls or partitions at a depth of less than 50mm

(i) Cable with earthed metallic covering.....
(ii) Enclosed in earthed conduit.....
(iii) Enclosed in earthed trunking.....
(iv) mechanically protected against damage......
(v) Installed in safe zones.....

Now where 522.6.6 (above) applies and the installation is not intended to be under the supervision of a skilled or instructed person, a cable installed in accordance with 522.6.6(v) and not complying with 522.6.6 (i), (ii), (iii) or (iv) shall be provided with additional protection by means of a 30mA RCD.

sorry for my ignorance
//www.diynot.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=75416#75416

would i still need rcd protection...hows does this work?
Possibly - see the explanation in Gary's post above.

If you want your work to comply with the current versions of the wiring regulations you must move the lighting circuit MCB to the RCD side of your board, or swap it for an RCBO, or use BS 8436 cable to extend the wiring instead of twin & earth.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back