Extending wiring to a ceiling rose

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have been replacing a ceiling light in a bedroom and there is not enough slack in the electric cable to connect to the new light. I'm assuming, from what I've read, that I can attach an extension to the cable - which is accessible in the loft by adding a junction box and additional cable? My question is what cable type do I use for the extended part. I have bought 1.5mm but on reading posts here I'm wondering if this is right. I've also bought a junction box with screws - but am now wondering if that doesn't count as maintenanceless - although it will be accessible in the loft? Help gratefully received :)

Sponsored Links
If the junction is in the loft, and you can access the loft (ie up a ladder, etc) then it is accessible.

I'm not sure how much additional cable you actually need, but you may find that you can win an inch or three by unclipping & rerouting the cable up in the loft.

1.5mm is fine I use some thing called a wago connector which are a push fit permanent connection you can buy them from screw fix or wholsalers. I always tape them as well even though you dont need to ive wired many a house using wagos, as I really dont like using junction box's don't think you can ever get a really nice connection with them the othet option is crimp connections again taped after they are crimped

Sponsored Links
1.5mm is fine
6mm² is fine.

I use some thing called a wago connector which are a push fit permanent connection you can buy them from screw fix or wholsalers.
So are the J803s to which I linked which have a built-on enclosure.

I always tape them as well even though you dont need to
Not necessary in an enclosure.

ive wired many a house using wagos, as I really dont like using junction box's don't think you can ever get a really nice connection with them
Except the ones which use the same method.

the othet option is crimp connections again taped after they are crimped
Solid conductors should not be crimped.

If he has already bought 1.5mm as stated then there is no problem using 1.5mm in fact I only ever use 1.5mm. Wagos will be alot easier to find as screwfix stock them. I missed where you are not allowed to crimp solid conductors , I never do but seen many a spark do it I wouldn't mind going through my regs if you can tell me where it sates you can't crimp.

Just checked on one of the other forums I use and the consensus is crimping is classed as a permanent connection. So if you could point out where the regs state I will let the other lads know.

I wouldn't mind going through my regs if you can tell me where it sates you can't crimp.
The regulation, 526.3(iv), just says 'appropriate compression tool' which for solid cores crimps are not.

It has been discussed many times.

You will not find any manufacturers' examples of crimping solid cores.

What would be appropriate compression? Surely a join that can not be manually pulled apart would be classed as secure? Im always open to new info will ask my tutor fron my test and inspection course when I see him next for he's thoughts.

What would be appropriate compression?
Why would there be one (for 1, 1.5 & 2.5mm²)?

Surely a join that can not be manually pulled apart would be classed as secure?
Is that the criterion?

Im always open to new info
It's not new.

will ask my tutor fron my test and inspection course when I see him next for he's thoughts.
It will be interesting to hear whether he his correct or not. ;)

Nothing wrong with crimping solid conductors IMO. I do it all the time with no problems at all.

Well as you stated appropriate compression I thought you may know! The reason most people didn't crimp was due to poor cable copper and aluminium mixes from the 1960's from what I have been reading tonight many see crimping as acceptable as the near pure copper cable in use now will mould to the crimp obviously using a ratchet type crimping tool.
It seems there is many a spark who disagree with you options. But each to there own. I can't see why a properly crimped and insulated conducter wouldn't fulfill the requirements as a permanent connection

Well as you stated appropriate compression I thought you may know!
But as it it not supposed to be done there would not be one, would there?

The reason most people didn't crimp was due to poor cable copper and aluminium mixes from the 1960's
It's not up to 'most people'.

from what I have been reading tonight many see crimping as acceptable as the near pure copper cable in use now will mould to the crimp obviously using a ratchet type crimping tool.
That would seem to be a disadvantage with any spare room within the crimp (which there is).

It seems there is many a spark who disagree with you options.
It is neither my option nor a democracy.
Crimps were and are not intended for use on solid cores.

But each to there own. I can't see why a properly crimped and insulated conducter wouldn't fulfill the requirements as a permanent connection
Ok.

Are you an inspector for niceic, napit, elecsa or another aproved governing body? just wondering as you seem to be 100% sure of your views where I have found many sparks who seem to disagree with you through many posts I have travelled through tonight and by sparks I mean not your 12day 17th edition course cowboys but by properly educated and time served trades men/ women

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back