Extending wiring to a ceiling rose

@ joframe sorry you post looks as its been hijacked by bickering. As you stated you have 1.5mm which will do exactly what you need it to if you can follow the cable back to where it was first joined ( the last fitting) that's always best practice as there is less chance of faults with fewer joints in the cable. If not I would use a permanent push fit connection which your local wholesaler will show what they stock which will suit the purpose it is needed for.

Sponsored Links
Are you an inspector for niceic, napit, elecsa or another aproved governing body?
No. Would you consider that definitive?

Never assume those in charge know what they are doing.

Please try and find a genuine manufacturer of proper crimps and crimping tools who state or show their product should be used on small solid cores.

I'm yet to see in writing advice from any manufacturer prohibiting the use of crimps on solid conductors.

No just thought as I've seem many sparks use crimps. Who have spent many years on the job and having at least my papers which im lvl 3 instalation and test and inspection, if you were an inspector you may of been aware of something I or my colleagues may of missed

Sponsored Links
Let's try to keep this thread concise. As it stands it's going around like a pantomime "Oh no it isn't". "Oh yes it is".

EFLImpudence: Please could you bring some compelling evidence to the table to support your assertion?

If anyone else has any compelling evidence to support or refute the motion, that would be most welcome too. Let's find something authoritative to clear this up.

It is a fact but it is difficult to prove a negative.

After all, product information is not going to begin with all the things which you are not supposed to do.

Is this good enough?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crimp_connection

As above, can anyone find any manufacturer's specifications where they state, give examples of or illustrate crimping of solid cores?

NASA is usually the prime example used where it is expressly forbidden to crimp solid cores, presumably because it had previously been done by someone who 'thought' it was acceptable.

I will find the link when I get home.

From the Molex booklet: "Some stranded wire crimp configurations are not satisfactory for solid wire. More deformation must be imposed in order to form wire and barrel into a solid mass."

They don't say it can't be done.

From the Molex booklet: "Some stranded wire crimp configurations are not satisfactory for solid wire. More deformation must be imposed in order to form wire and barrel into a solid mass."

They don't say it can't be done.
It continues with

"More deformation must be imposed in order to form wire and barrel into a solid mass. On the other hand, finer strands will more readily fill the inside
corners of the crimp shape and more evenly distribute the forces of the crimp."

Do you think it applies to the cheap, ill-fitting crimps being discussed?

I don't recal anyone having a spec for the crimps being discussed a game of football ball with you must be so hard as goal posts keep moving to suit

Don't like football but where have I moved the goalposts?

So the NASA document is ignored because it states what you don't want to hear.

Do you think -
"Some stranded wire crimp configurations are not satisfactory for solid wire. More deformation must be imposed in order to form wire and barrel into a solid mass."
means it is alright to crimp solid cores?

What if it refers to the ones we are talking about?
Can you crimp them into a solid mass?

I will admit that by deduction it implies that some 'stranded wire crimp configurations' must be satisfactory for solid wire but I don't know which they are.
Do you?

You don't have to do or believe what I say if you don't want to but at least I have offered some evidence but no one has come up with anything which confirms your point of view.

Why does the unacceptable Wiki page emphasise stranded wires throughout?
I didn't write it.

I will presume that you have searched for articles, other than similar arguing, to confirm your thoughts but have been unable to find any.

I don't remember nasa writing the regs :rolleyes:

I have seen it in writing that crimps are fine on solid conductors.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back