Extension - few questions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
2D73B840-B8C4-4B58-AF19-B8A950C8FA7D.gif
5BBE17FE-8274-42A4-8256-D609E45C44A7.gif

Red = New area
Yellow = Change of use for room

I am having thoughts about extending my bungalow.
Extension will go to the side where there is currently a 2nd driveway.

The double garage external wall is a single brick wall.
The front of the garage where there is currently x2 double up and over doors will be blocked and replaced with a window.
The internal walls I believe will need to have batons installed, insulation added and then plaster boarded.
The floor is already levelled with concrete.

New area is 48.75m2
Garage area is 30.25m2
Total area of 79m2

Roof will be flat EPDM with a lantern, rear of extension will be bi folding doors.

I have 2 approx. quotes for the work - both quotes are miles apart.
As you can see from the diagram, the majority of the walls are already up.

I have a architect to draw up plans soon, but what kind of approx. figure should I be looking at for the building work?

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Is the kitchen big enough :?::!::!::!: Ask the architect to come up with some alternative floor layouts.

What are the quotes that have being given by the people who have visited the site???

Andy

Sponsored Links
It all depends on whether the designer it's specifying plastic plug sockets or brushed stainless steel.

£33k and £110k ! (Both excluding kitchen)

£80k to £100k would be my stab in the dark.

Youve basically got in round figures a 50sq m new extension and a 30 sq m garage conversion.

It is never ever gonna be a £30k job

£80k to £100k would be my stab in the dark.

Youve basically got in round figures a 50sq m new extension and a 30 sq m garage conversion.

It is never ever gonna be a £30k job

Excuse my ignorance however,

I have free labour resources for;

Digging foundations
Brick/Block laying
Plastering, skimming
Electrics
Plumbing
Preparing and installing the floor n(As already mentioned the garage has a concrete floor but will need to be built up with insulation etc. New area will have to be built up from hardcore).

As the majority of the walls are already up I have calculated my brick/block cost not to be much.
Bi fold door 4m I can get fitted for £3k
Roof lantern £3k
It is the cost to build up the flat roof where I will need to pay for the labour cost (have been quoted £5-6k)
Other building material costs.

Again, excuse my ignorance but out of the figure of £100k how much will be actual labour cost?

Last edited:
FAmily and friends. All professionals in their relevant area’s.

If that's the case then get the plans and do a self build, getting the hired help when needed.

Andy

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back