Extension for this cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,
I am trying to find an extension for this lawnmower cable. Pics at the bottom of this post.

The cable is approx 10 metres long and I want to get an extension of another 10-20 metres.

I currently use the cable plugged into an extension reel, which requires regular re-positioning.

I suppose I could just use a single gang, standard extension, plugged into the reel, and I could then plug the existing cable into that. Something like this:

But was hoping to get something more like this:

Can anybody please advise on the best solution and/or please tell me what the designation of the socket is so that I can search for cable?

The lawnmower is this one, which is 1800W.

Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

IMG-20220628-174423.jpg

IMG-20220628-174444.jpg

IMG-20220628-174452.jpg

IMG-20220628-174511.jpg

IMG-20220628-174524.jpg

Sponsored Links
The lawn mower plugs and sockets are available 1656438610396.pngbut in the main you need to make them up yourself, seen very few ready made, the plug and socket you show is reversible German and not permitted in the UK because it can be reversed, not that it would matter for a lawn mower.

Since the lawn mower is double insulated it only need two core cable, so making up a special will be lighter than standard three core, but from link I don't know what plug and socket already used, maybe you can post a picture.

Thanks @ericmark. The pictures at the bottom of the original post are of the existing cable and here is a picture of the plug on the lawnmower and the socket on the existing cable.

IMG-20220628-191538.jpg

IMG-20220628-191603.jpg

You have a European lead for some reason.

Search for "Schuko extension cord" on Amazon.de.

For example:

Make sure you buy one with an earth wire, i.e. 3 core, even though you may not need it.

As long as you have a UK plug at the beginning of your existing lead the reversible non-polarised European lead will not matter.

Sponsored Links
Thanks @EFLImpudence. I found this one on the UK site. Does it look OK?

It has double sockets, but that won't be a problem, and is 5 metres longer than the single socket version.

It's 3 core and 1.5mm.

As I mentioned earlier the mower is 1800W (~8A I think), so I think the 1.5mm will be OK.

I plan to daisy chain it with the supplied 10 metre cable for a total of 35 metres. Is that OK?

Last edited:
Is there any reason not to replace the European plug with a standard 13A UK plug? You could then just use a standard lead that could be used for anything
I think the plug on the mower is likely to be moulded into the handle. Or that's my experience of several recent machines.

I think the plug on the mower is likely to be moulded into the handle. Or that's my experience of several recent machines.
Ah! I see the 2-pin is on a short lead attached to the mower - I was thinking along the lines of ericmark's suggestion at the mower end and the plug at the end of the lead. I have seen a German mower where the 2-pin socket plugs directly into the mower and the other end of the lead had a 13A plug.

So, there is a 2-pin plug permanently attached to the mower, with a 2-pin socket on the end of a lead that connects to the mower at one end and the mains at the other.

Still, if the existing lead has a 13A plug (earlier photo?) why not just use a standard extension lead? Perhaps @OldKettle can confirm what is on the lead plugged into the mains? I suspect that this would be easier and cheaper than buying something from Germany.

Hi. Yes the two pin plug is on the mower. I have been using the 10 metre Schuko lead (which has the 13A plug) plugged into an extension reel, but I had to keep moving that reel all the time when mowing. I was considering just buying a standard long single gang extension, but then that would have been dragging on the lawn, so really wanted something that I could plug into the "Schuko" socket (thanks to EFL for providing the name) so all of the conductors are shielded when on the lawn, would move more smoothly over the surface and probably less likely to be pulled loose.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back