Extension lead question please

Sponsored Links
i said it mereley because if a 10 amp fuse is in the plug and the press has an electrical fault, the ten amp fuse ,if the correct type and rating will blow first. its like having a motor O/L set at 10A if the motor is 5A. the O/L will not trip if the motor faults. then, the fuses or MCB at the dist. board will blow instead.....its for protection afterall, and saves time.

10A fuses are not hard to find for me, however im in an industrial environment so maybe it is to buy in a shop...i apologise.

i said it mereley because if a 10 amp fuse is in the plug and the press has an electrical fault, the ten amp fuse ,if the correct type and rating will blow first.
"First", as in "before anything else"? Before what will a 10A fuse blow where a 13A will not?

i said it mereley because if a 10 amp fuse is in the plug and the press has an electrical fault, the ten amp fuse ,if the correct type and rating will blow first. its like having a motor O/L set at 10A if the motor is 5A. the O/L will not trip if the motor faults. then, the fuses or MCB at the dist. board will blow instead.....its for protection afterall, and saves time.

10A fuses are not hard to find for me, however im in an industrial environment so maybe it is to buy in a shop...i apologise.

Surely if it was so important to have a 10amp fuse then the appliance would have had it supplied by the manufacturer in the plug top :?:

Sponsored Links
i would have presumed so yes.

i was just making a suggestion , its good practice to have a correctly and closely rated fuse for an appliance, even if a 13 amp is adequate, if an appliance is 10 A then i always fit a closely matched fuse. The reasoning being that if something is manufactured to draw a maximum current of 9.6a then it should not draw anymore unless there is a problem or if its being used incorrectly!

i suppose my reasoning is better suited to products with motors etc, in that if a washing machine motor is rated at 6 amps and its drawing 10, a 13 amp fuse wont blow, but a 6.3, 7, 8 or 10 would, alerting to a problem and saving the windings etc

I'd be very interested to see the time/current curves for 6.3 (??), 7, 8 and 10A BS 1362 fuses, and what they tell us about how quickly they will clear a 10A current.

"Never" is my semi-educated guess, but I'm happy to be proved wrong....

If you are going to make an extension lead, or buy one, then why would you go for a 10amp one?

Surely it just makes sence to go for a 13amp.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back