Extension lead question please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I run a small home printing business and use a heat press to print onto T Shirts. All the printing is currently done in the dining room and I want to do it in the outhouse. Sadly there is no power in there and I dont use it very often. But I want to clear the dining room of the Computer, monitor printer and the heat press to give the kids a room to play in.

So I want to run an extension lead from the dining room to the outhouse whenever I do the printing. Can I do this with the appliances i have? The computer and printers should be fine, but its the heat press which worries me.

It says 9.6a on the side and in the book says it needs to plug into a 15a socket. It draws 2200w.

I will not have the press and computer on at the same time but when pressing will use a desk lamp and the press at the same time.

Is an extension lead ok to use for this? If so do I need one with RCD or surge protection etc??? I am complete novice with electrics, but our downstairs ring is RCD'd in the fuse board if that helps. I've also run the heat press off the same double plug as a plasma TV before.

thanks

Sponsored Links
If you really are using it temporarily then it should be fine. However if you are planning on leaving the extention lead in, running a computer the rest of the day then you need to be carefull how you run the cable. What with kiddies around.
The loading on the cable will be monitored by the fuse in the plug top so should you overload it then that should simply blow, and you then know you are overdoing it.
How long a run of cable would this be?
Will any of the run be outside?

If you do have RCD protection at your fuseboard covering the circuit you will come from then that will be ok.

You really should get a proper permanent supply installed by a registered electrician.

Extension lead sockets are not usually designed for constant use and may char under high load (2kw+) for long periods.

Sponsored Links
Extension lead sockets are not usually designed for constant use and may char under high load (2kw+) for long periods.

Where does this idea come from? I've heard a couple of people mention it on here, and it simply isn't true. A 3kW extension lead is designed to take 3kW, if any damage occurs through use at or below the rated power, then the lead was either poorly designed/manufactured, or badly worn. I can believe the former with some of the c*ap extension leads you can buy in the supermarket these days.

Where does this idea come from? I've heard a couple of people mention it on here, and it simply isn't true. A 3kW extension lead is designed to take 3kW, if any damage occurs through use at or below the rated power, then the lead was either poorly designed/manufactured, or badly worn. I can believe the former with some of the c*ap extension leads you can buy in the supermarket these days.
Unwind a cheap jojo extension lead. the ones with a casette you wind up. Feel how light it weighs. Theres nothing to them, and even if they are rated 3kw, I wouldn't actually do it for very long. Most of these only carry a rating of 6-10 amps anyway.

A 4+ gang powerstrip, I would trust slightly more, since they usually seem more heavy duty, with thicker flex and heavier socket (despite them being smaller then reels). They must be good - think how many are in use in every home in the UK on PCs, home entertainment setups, bedrooms.

hi guys, thanks so far. the press would be on once every few weeks for an hour or so. The computer and printer once every few days for an hour or two. Not intending to leave it plugged in either. Will unroll and plug in when needed, so no trip haz for kids either. If this is safe with the heat press I describe then I am happy to do this until I can afford an electrician to wire it.

It'll be 8-10m distance max.

So, am I right in thinking I need a heavy duty, quality extenstion lead with built in RCD? or do I just trust the RCD on the circuit board. I was only thinking built in RCD to stop tripping the rest of the downstairs out should the heat press trip.

Just an extra note, the press has a 15a fuse built in.

as i said, complete novice, so dont really understand it all to be honest. But do want a safe quick and cheap fix for now. If I find the outhouse becomes the place for the setup then I think I'll get someone in.

If extension is a good method and someone can recommend a good one then please do so.

thanks

15 amp socket?

get a flex rated at 10 or more amps and 3kw, remember that this needs to be fully unwound to be able to cope with the current. If the press is 9.6A then 10 amps or more is adequate. it would be ok to plug this into a household socket, but make sure you have a 10 amp fuse in the plug.

no matter who makes the cable, if its rated at the correct current and wattage then it will do the job.

weight of a cable is irrelevant

Unwind a cheap jojo extension lead. the ones with a casette you wind up. Feel how light it weighs. Theres nothing to them, and even if they are rated 3kw, I wouldn't actually do it for very long. Most of these only carry a rating of 6-10 amps anyway.

If it's rated at 6-10A, it's not a 3kW extension lead, so I wouldn't expect it to take 3kW. If it's rated at 13A, I would expect it to be able to carry 13A safely, and if it doesn't, I'd say you have reasonable cause to take your complaint to the manufacturer.

I use extensions all the time, and often up to their max ratings.

I have 3 reels rated 13A/3Kw, 3@ 10A/2200W and one @ 5A (not much use for most thngs, but good for lighting)

if it is rated at 13A, and I use it as such, I would expect it to do this safely, if it didnt I would be having strong words with the retailer, manufacturer and trading standards.

because the press is rated at 9.6 amps.......

you should never oversize fuses just for the sake of it, 10A is closest to 9.6A

1) 10A is not a preferred value for BS 1362 fuses, and will be hard to find, so telling someone who is a "complete novice" to "make sure" he has a fuse that he'll find it hard to locate, when that advice is b******s is not helpful.

2) If you disagree with the last part of the above, please explain why 9.6 < 13 < 16 is not OK, but 9.6 < 10 < 16 is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back