Extension Pipe for 9000BTU portable air con

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I got one of those cheap portable air con units from Homebase. The outlet pipe is about 6ft but I'd like to extend it by using one of those coily, springy pipe things.

Is there a limit on the length of the pipe? Can I run a pipe, say, 15ft?

All suitable extension pipes in local DIY stores are 4" but this unit has a 6" pipe. Can I still use 4" and use just tape it to the 6" pipe or will that cause too much pressure for the unit to blow out?

Sponsored Links
The fan units in these have very little margin. You could probably get away with extending the outlt hose to 10 feet or so, but 15 would be pushing it a bit. Reducing the size of the pipe has a much worse choking effect than extending the length so i wouldnt recommend that at all. Do you have an 'Arco' nearby?. They stock all sorts of flexi tube in various sizes and could give you a couple of meters of 6". If you do extend the length, try and make the run as smooth as possible with no sharp bends or constrictions.

Sponsored Links
the manufacturers dont recommend you extend the outlet pipe, i bought one a couple of weeks ago. Bear in mind, condensation may form on the walls of the pipe inside, if it is too long, since the "cold part" drips its condensate moisture onto the "hot part", which evaporates it and it is blown outside, like a tumble dryer. Also, the hot pipe may dissipate some heat back into the room.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back