Extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible for me to build my own extension, Without getting planning permission and building control involved. I know that this may be a stupid question, but it seems to me it is my house, And i should be able to do what i like to it.

Sponsored Links
you may not need planning permission but the only people who can tell you that is the planning dept of local council. its in your own best interest to sort both out before starting any work.
Building control can give you inspection tickets which come in handy if you ever sell your house it tells buyer that the extension has been inspected and was done to building regs at that time.
p.s. the nicer you are to them the better they respond.

algoom,
By ignoring the authoraties over an extension, you really are playing with the value of your home. One wingy neighbour and they could make you tear the whole thing back down again. In the meantime making your home unsaleable.

Sponsored Links
Submit your plans to the planning department, They will tell you if its required.

Building Regs will be required though, unless it is to be mainly glass and used as a conservatory.

I am just finishing an extension i built myself (and i do mean built myself) We applied for planning three times. Got knocked back twice so glad we didnt just go ahead...

always best to check

Mick

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back