Exterior light legislation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I let a property in England and the tennant has moved out recently. I am currently in dispute with him over a number of areas with one being an exterior light that he installed.

He attached a light to the exterior wall of the house, ran the cable up to the back bedroom window, drilled a hole through a upvc window frame and plugged the cable into a socket.

Aside from the fact that he damaged my window and did not have permission to do any work, he is claiming that an electrician did the work and that there is nothing dangerous about it.

I was sure that if you fitted an external light there you could not run it from an internal plug. I even thought that it should be on a seperate circuit. His argument is that water cannot run up an insulated cable...

Can any one give me some guidance on this or point me in the direction of what regulations / legislation this would be covered by (if any). I have tried a bit of a google search but just seem to find sites selling outside lights!

Thanks

Sponsored Links
There is no reason that you can't run an outside light off a 13A plug from a ring final. It's not something that any respectable electrician would do, but as far as the regulations go, it's certainly permitted. The only caveat is that, as there is an exposed exterior cable run, the circuit must be RCD protected. As this is a rented house, one would hope that you have a reasonably modern electrical installation and RCD protection on all socket outlets.

Oh, and there should be a 3A fuse fitted in the plugtop, not a 13A, so that's worth checking too.

he is claiming that an electrician did the work and that there is nothing dangerous about it.
I'll bet he can't prove that an electrician did it, can he...

Aside from the fact that he damaged my window and did not have permission to do any work,
But whoever did the work, these facts remain - he did not have your permission to do this work or have it done, and he, or someone he engaged, damaged your property, so I suggest you stick to these issues in your dispute with him.

I think under Part L1 exterior lights must be under 150W and can only take bulbs which at better than 40 lumens per circuit-Watt and must switch off automatic.
Not quite sure you would need to check. Also there will need to be an installation or minor works certificate even when plugged in for any fixed wiring.
Eric

Sponsored Links
Just remove the light and reseal the DG unit.

But, but, but, but, but, but........... :LOL:

Count yourself lucky, last house we rented out was pretty much trashed and the tennants vanished without trace.

Sounds like you are just kicking up a fuss about nothing, possibly to hold onto his bond or whatever, obviously I dont know the full situation, has he wrecked the rest of the house?

You may also possibly just be Victor Meldrew.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back