Exterior Paintwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am working on the exterior paintwork of the house (1930') which hasn't been touched in years (my own fault really).

I had a feeling the woodwork was rotting but couldn't assess the extent until a I got a closer look. I have removed a rotten piece of 2" x 1" across the full length of the gable to expose this.

ExteriorPaintwork0003.jpg

Can anyone suggest an effective method of repair. My idea was cut out the rotten stuff and then shoot in some timber glueing and pinning as best as possible. I only have hand tools such as saws, chisels, to do this. I have the benefit of working off a scaffold though.

ExteriorPaintwork0001.jpg

My next query is the wood at the top of the apex seems very dusty when sanded. It is not rotten as such so I don't want to replace it if at all possible. Can anyone suggest a suitable treatment that can be applied if such a product is available.

ExteriorPaintwork0002.jpg

Finally, can anyone suggest a good exterior woodfiller.

Thanks in advance.

Sponsored Links
There are a couple of options

1) Cut out all the soft areas and treat with some standard wood preservative. fill with exterior wood filler and the larger areas cut in with new timber fix with counter sink screws and fill and prime then 2 undercoats with a final exteror gloss coat.

2) You simply treat the wood after removing all dry rot and cover with a plastic upvc facia boards

3) You replace the timbers making sure you support the roof tiles with battens and acro supports

The gable - just cut out the worst of the rotten wood section and replace it with new timber, prime, fill and then undercoat then gloss.

remove all the soft rotten areas. you can then give the areas adjacent to those areas a generous treatment of a rot stopping traetment (ie cuprinol etc) that will stop it spreading.
Give all the exposed paintwork a good treatment of wood preserver (ie cuprinol again!)
larger sections you can replace with new timber grafted in and sanded down, and for the smaller sections i use the epoxy wood filler, which is a two part mix just like car body filler.
prime, undercoat and top coat (the dulux exterior system is very good and lasts well, its expensive about £30 for 2.5 litrres but is good)
The wood at the top could be dusty for a number of reasons, but probably starting to rot a little, although could also be the old paint used on it.
Youll get all of the above from a decent builders merchant, probably not a diy shed. Its worth spending the money as you want it to last.

As thermo says epoxy filler but I would ACTUALLY use carbody filler you can fill a much larger gap with it. I have filled gaps upto 3" wide in the past. to save on filling the whole thing use a bit of expanding foam or some plain old powder filler to bulk out the holes. As for the second bit of wood it looks like it has just been weathered quite heavily due to the lack of paint.I would give it a coat of primer and undercoat, see how the grain is filling and then fill any of the holes or exagerated grain with a good lightweight premixed filler, this can be sanded after a couple of hours and sands easily.Then give it another undercoat.
Would also recommend dulux weathershield it is a bit pricey but it does do what it says, I painted my house with it just under 10 years ago and it still isn't flaking, you do have to follow their guidance though ie no point using a different undercoat and the dulux top coat.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the advice. I'll post an update when I am finished.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back