External Cable Conduit

JP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I wish to run some 10mm cable on the out side of the house (for less than two feet) to make my shower installation easier. Can anyone tell me what kind of conduit I require to protect the cable and where to source it from ?

Thanks
JP

Sponsored Links
JP, the conduit you would need to put 10mm twin in would be 32mm, and you would need to buy at least 1x 3 meter from a wholesaler.

You may just about get away with 25mm, but you would have the same problem.

Cheers FWL,

Would this be the standard white conduit you use behind plaster or is there something different required as it's going on a na out side wall ?

JP said:
Cheers FWL,

Would this be the standard white conduit you use behind plaster or is there something different required as it's going on a na out side wall ?

The white conduit your speaking of is oval I assume, which means it is not conduit, but capping, is noy UV stablised and should not be used externally.

If you wish to use plastic it must be BLACK as this is the UV stablised variant.

I am curious as to how far up the wall this short section may be, if it is less that 2.5 meters up a wall, I would urge the use of steel conduit or protection.

Sponsored Links
It's right under the eaves, 4 - 5m high. I don't care what it's made of I just wondered what I should use.

It looks like this:

MT20B.jpg

FWL - curiously, I was thinking the other day about your idea of using SWA for a shower cable, and about the problems of routing in inside the house, and I also thought about running it up the outside of the house and in through the eaves. Presumably SWA would be OK just clipped to the wall?

Ban, SWA can be clipped on the outside wall with no problems, it's one of the tasks it's designed for.

Ban, sorry to spoil your lovely day, but are we related? I was thinking at lunch time of rewiring my shower using SWA!

FWL

In an old post, you said 6mm2 SWA is good for up to 63A. That right?

Does it absolutely have to be terminated in glands to comply with regs? I mean, I have an insulated CU at one end, and the shower is mounted inbetween two studs on a drylined wall at the other. There is no way of practically using glands to terminate the cable - the CU is the type where the lid forms the sides of the unit, a la MEM.

I know you talked about terminating in a metal box, but at the shower end I have nowhere to mount it - flat roof etc without knocking 7 bells out of the d/l wall. Anyhow, I hate unnecessary joints.....

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back