External Meter Cupboard - Regulations

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I have a very poorly built meter cupboard on the side of my building. It actually contains meters for other properties on the same site. I am concerned about the safety of the box. It is of wooden construction, untreated and not weather proof. The doors have warped to teh point where they will not close.

Can anyone tell me if there are any mandatory standards or regulations that apply to external electriciy cupboards? I may then be able to use this to get the owner of the box to eitehr move the box or at least construct something sensible.

Many Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Generally under the T & Cs of a supply it is the responsibility of the customer/customers to provide a secure waterproof housing for the DNO & supplier equipment

Back in the old days, the meter reader would report its condition back to the lekky company. But its all subbed out now and nobody gives a flying whatsit.

Steve, if its in bad condition you must get it fixed. Its your responsibility and the DNO won't like it if the rain pours into their meters.

Thanks for the replies.

These image show the meter cupboard. It is far from weather proof.
The situation is that we are in dispute with the builder, and we are looking for some way to get hi to make good this meter cupboard (amongst a whole host of other problems). The main issue is that we don't own the meter cupboard, he owns that still as it has meters in for the other buildings, however, it is on the side of our building and I really want it moved, or at least made safe.
To do that I really need a stick with which to hit him, and if I can find some piece of legislation that says it is unsatisfactory I can use that to address the issue.
BTW: The building was signed off by an electrician, but I find it hard to believe that cupboard would be acceptable. I guess since it does not contain our meter it probably was not part of the acceptance on our building.

Thanks
Steve

Sponsored Links
Could perhaps do with a better mechanism for locking the doors properly, but I think you'll realise that it's actually in very good condition when someone inevitably posts pictures of some of the rotten disasters that they've come across that are still energised.

I would take the view that it is OK and needs little to make completely water tight.
It smacks of it originally being the point of temporary supply whilst the site was developed.

I think you need to work out if it is there with your permission, as there should be something in the deeds etc.

Looks ok to me as well, just needs a bolt on the inside of one door to stop them from opening out slightly when closed and padlocked. I agree tho if this is fixed to the external wall of your property and your electrical supply doesnt come from there i would check to see if there is permission for it to be there in the first place. If it has to be moved off the wall then it would need to go into one of these thats free-standing, would require gound excavation and probably an interruption of the supply, flip side of the coin is that what you already have looks much more pleasing to the eye.

http://www.lucylighting.com/products/fortress-range/double-door

Who's meters are they then?

Could perhaps do with a better mechanism for locking the doors properly, but I think you'll realise that it's actually in very good condition when someone inevitably posts pictures of some of the rotten disasters that they've come across that are still energised.

SSExternalSupplyBox.jpg

The situation is that we are in dispute with the builder, and we are looking for some way to get hi to make good this meter cupboard (amongst a whole host of other problems)
So you can either waste weeks/months/years wrangling over who owns what and who didn't do whatever should have been done, while the cupboard rots away.

or

spend an hour at the weekend adjusting the doors so they fit, fixing a couple of bolts to secure the doors, and painting the whole thing with some shed/fence preservative.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back