External Telephone Cable

There's H & S issue there....using a tool for a purpose it was not intended for.

Sponsored Links
Seriously. If you're working under an employer in a place of work and are not using approved tools & equipment or are carrying out tasks you have not been trained to do, or are not using safe practices you could be in trouble.

Sponsored Links
ricicle said:
Hundreds of telephone/network points done in a factory of 500 people (always moving around) not one bad connection in 10 years - each to their own ;)

Ricicle

That is such a stupid statement it can't be true.

You might do the odd termination with a stanley knife but there's no way you would use it in the way you have stated unless you were a complete dick head which I'm sure you're not.

For a start, I know that every network port would fail on attenuation if it was terminated with a knife because as plugwash said, it would splay the terminals.

I Know that it is virtually impossible to terminate a patch panel with a knife and it would take you forever.

I also know that your customer/ employer would sack you if they caught you bodging the installation. They would also question why it takes you so long to terminate a patch panel/237a/outlet.

DIY'ers read the post's in here and I'm sure that you wouldn't want them to try and terminate a voice outlet with a stanley knife.

ricicle said:
Hundreds of telephone/network points done in a factory of 500 people (always moving around) not one bad connection in 10 years - each to their own
Frankly, I don't believe you.

If you use a steel knife blade then you can't avoid forcing apart the contacts which are designed NOT to be forced apart except by a copper conductor. In addition, you risk cutting yourself with the sharp knife.

Not only is a knife blade the wrong tool to use, for the above reason, but I don't believe that you can achieve as many good connections, in the same time, as when using a Krohn tool.

I love my Krone tool ;)

And just for information, the USA company ADC brought Krone a couple of years ago and between now and 2010 they intend to drop the name Krone and just use ADC :eek: Big mistake.

So remember, when you have to ask for an ADC outlet or an ADC punch down tool you heard it here first ;) :LOL:

Pensdown said:
I love my Krone tool ;)
Me too. But now I'm unsure of the correct spelling for it. ?:

I've only just noticed that I repeated what you (and others) had already written Pensdown. :oops:

This is a choice comment:

Ricicle said:
Why buy tools when this will do the trick perfectley well
He/she must get free Stanley knifes and blades then. ;)

Guys,Guys,Guys,
This is my final post on the subject.I'll just clear up a few points.I've never had a connection fail using the knife.The knife blade is narrower than the gap in the connection so will not splay it.This has worked for me as I've said and this guy is only doing one connection does he want to buy a tool for this and yes knives are dangerous in the wrong hands but so is electricity and even though part p is supposed to control a lot of home work we are still advising people how to do electrical work not knowing whether they have an ounce of common sense or not.And as for the right tool for the right job I suppose none of you have EVER used snips to strip a wire or a knife to strip a flex.......

Ricicle

ricicle said:
This is my final post on the subject.
Excellent!

I've never had a connection fail using the knife.
I don't believe you.

The knife blade is narrower than the gap in the connection so will not splay it.
No it isn't, so yes it will.

This has worked for me as I've said and this guy is only doing one connection does he want to buy a tool for this
I dunno - why don't you ask him? :rolleyes:

part p is supposed to control a lot of home work
No it isn't - it's supposed to make certain work notifiable, not constrain who does it. You don't seem to know very much.

we are still advising people how to do electrical work not knowing whether they have an ounce of common sense or not.
You might be, but other posters on this forum are pretty wise and can tell whether someone is about to step beyond the boundary of their competence.

And as for the right tool for the right job I suppose none of you have EVER used snips to strip a wire or a knife to strip a flex.......
Why would I use the wrong tool when I have the right tools for the job?

Couldn't resist it sorry if you want to play word games.Isn't notifying an official body ie LABC introducing a form of control into work that could previously go unchecked if done by a DIYer or cowboy.

Ricicle

ricicale, I'm not telling you how to suck eggs but there is a big difference between a blade, however thin and a punchdown tool.

A blade goes between the IDC termination forcing it apart and a punch down tool pushes on the cable either side of the termination.

Even if the blade only splays the termination slightly the insulation will not be displaced correctly. That may not be a problem for voice terminations but I can assure you it's a huge problem for data.

Anyway, nuff said

Softus...Although normally I would be the last person anyone would ask about spelling, the logo on my freebee fleece is spelt Krone. :LOL:

Ricicle

Do me a favour on Monday morning, huh?

Ask your immediate boss how he would feel if he knew all you've told us here.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back