Externally located electric meters

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it normal for external meter boxes to have a mains fuse board switch in it? I thought the only switches are on the fuse board internally?

Sponsored Links
Wha did some thief can easily switch it off to bypass security systems. Ok battery backup for alarms but still

Sponsored Links
A lockable cupboard would normally be in place.
Indeed - but, for £1.99 ...

s-l1600.jpg

In any event, if anyone is sufficiently determined (and sufficiently brave and/or foolish), even if there is no switch in the meter box, they could pull the service fuse.

Kind Regards, John

Can you post a slightly bigger picture i'm having trouble viewing that :p
Blame eBay - I couldn't be bothered to re-size it! Quite why copying/pasting from eBay to here resulted in the image getting so big is, at least as I am concerned, one of life's mysteries :)

Kind Regards, John

A lockable cupboard would normally be in place.
Do you really mean lockable ? I thought they were normally only latch-able and, as John points out, using a single basic triangular key that everyone has. Having them properly lockable, as in having a proper lock and enough strength to make a lock worthwhile, would defeat on of the reasons for having them - making it easy for third parties (meter readers, DNOs when they come to disconnect if you don't pay the bill) to access them.
If I were forced to fit one then I'd want it in stainless or hot dipped galvanised, flush fitting (and I mean truly flush), and with a mesh insert in the door so it can be rendered to match the rest of the house. And of course, with an EMI gasket to make sure any mandatory smart meter can't work ;), and a proper lock.

Yes, it had crossed my mind, and it's fairly easy to make "RF proof" windows - look at the front of microwave ovens for example. Would then have to insist on the meter being properly located, and sods law says it would need a button pressing to read anyway

I'm not sure what "Plan Bs" they have for situations in which they cannot get an adequate RF signal (given my experiences with mobile networks, I think that they would struggle in my house), even when that is not the result of 'deliberate blocking', but do not any of those fallback plans include communication via the supply cable?

Kind Regards, John

INHI if this is the case, but on a scale of 1 to utterly gobsmacked, how surprised would you be if you learned that they've just assumed ubiquitous mobile phone coverage?

Very gobsmacked, because I have read (but not really taken in) quite a lot about postulated (I don't know if any have been implemented) "Plan Bs"

Part of the Plan Bs (from 'SmaterMeters website)....
... The Wide Area Network or WAN is the name given to the communications network between the meters and the company responsible for collecting the data and passing it on to other businesses such as suppliers. This company will usually be the DCC (Data Communications Company) which the government has set up especially for this role supporting the final SMETS2 meters. Depending on the Communications Service Provider, which varies by areas of the UK, the technology can change depending on what works best in a local area. Sometimes your meter will communicate directly with DCC and sometimes it will talk through the meters around you to reach a particular meter which has direct communications with DCC. This form of communications looks like a mesh when you draw out the possible links between meters and is therefore known as a Mesh network
.... Smart meters communicate through mobile communications and so the signal strength is an important factor to consider for installation. ................ For SMETS2 there are more options. The communications are provided by the Data Communications Company (DCC) and suppliers can check that a premises has communications before visiting a site. Once on site they can check with a signal checking device if the signal is strong enough in the meter location. If it isn’t they can fit a number of different aerials to try to boost the signal. If that doesn’t work an external aerial or an alternative mesh communications method is available in some areas.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back