Extra layer of insulating board?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Our house is circa 1900, stone built. Top floor is converted. One bedroom is warm enough because it's a newer dormer, but the hallway and other bedroom are cold. Both mainly have a pitched roof. Both ceilings painted but one appears to be standard plasterboard, one Styrofoam and both are pretty cold to the touch, so I doubt there's much insulation.

So my probably daft question is - can I just stick up (or space out with a thin batten if necessary) an additional layer of insulating board to keep the warmth in.

I should say that I don't get the impression there's much space between the ceiling and the roof itself, and would rather not be pulling down ceilings if I can help it.

Thanks
D

Sponsored Links
Thanks, much appreciated. Was worried about condensation but assume if I use something with a foil backing (foil facing up) that will barrier against any passage of water from inner side to outer side

Sponsored Links
It won't matter, as the situation will be no different to what it is now in terms of condensation within the roof.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back