Extraction fan in bathroom

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys

Not a DIY question as such, but had a new bathroom fan fitted today, 20 mins after the shower still condensation on the walls and water droplets on the fan itself.

Am i right in thinking this shouldnt be the case, more so because we were replacing our current one for the same reason?

Cheers!

Sponsored Links
Fans can only do so much.

With the fan on and the door closed, listen to it carefully, and then open the door. If the pitch changes, you need to increase the ventilation into the room. You can put a doir vent in or just lop off some off the bottom.

Fan extraction will also suffer from dead zones. My ensuite doesn't get and benefit from the fan in the end opposite the fan where the shower is. I've thought about putting 2 in, one at each end but i CBA really.

Hi Guys

Not a DIY question as such, but had a new bathroom fan fitted today, 20 mins after the shower still condensation on the walls and water droplets on the fan itself.

Am i right in thinking this shouldnt be the case, more so because we were replacing our current one for the same reason?

Cheers!

Please show us a photo of your fan. I suspect it it is too weedy.

Please show us a photo of your fan. I suspect it it is too weedy.
Thats what i wondered but didnt want to jump to conclusions

Attachments

• processed-3fd7ecc9-5f29-465e-94d9-16ec928023d4_dW7Z6AxT.jpeg
    processed-3fd7ecc9-5f29-465e-94d9-16ec928023d4_dW7Z6AxT.jpeg
    69.2 KB · Views: 79
Sponsored Links
I believe it to be a MONS100T which is not bad, but not powerful enough for a shower. I see it is fitted in a ceiling. If you have access above you could fit a much more powerful ducted fan in the loft. It is unusual to see condensation on the fan itself. What is above?

How long is the duct, and is it covered in insulation?

I believe it to be a MONS100T which is not bad, but not powerful enough for a shower. I see it is fitted in a ceiling. If you have access above you could fit a much more powerful ducted fan in the loft. It is unusual to see condensation on the fan itself. What is above?

The duct insulation is a good comment. I must do mine to stop dripping from the fan itself.

The listing mentions it has "with two performance settings" so I suppose there is a chance it has been left on low speed (yours might not have this). Do you have the fitting instructions?

https://www.electricpoint.com/mons100t-monsoon-extractor-fan.html

Edit
I don't know that make but I know a remarkably similar one where the cover hinges open after pressing in a small tab on the bottom edge.

Last edited:

Thanks!

Yes thats the correct model. It is just the loft above, ive not been in there myself to be honest but it's not boarded yet so shouldn't be any issues up there

I dont kniw about the duct or insulation though

Managed to get the front grill off, but no idea what im looking at as i cant see anything to adjust

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_004450.jpg
    IMG_20211211_004450.jpg
    140.9 KB · Views: 74
I think that panel removes to reveal the wiring connection block, and the timer adjuster.

It is not the same as the similar looking Soler & Palau or Envirovent ones.

See if you can get the installation instructions from the makers website.

So i might well be wrong, but

Looked tonight from where i can see, the fan is just behind the glass panel/door. And the other photo is above that same area.

So i cant see any ducting at all, and i think, theres some insulation laid down too, though loosely as we have insulated ourselves at all.

So i think the original electrician didnt vent it outside and now i had a new one fitted,.neither did this electrician

Does that seem to be what the issue is?

Thanks again

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_172932.jpg
    IMG_20211211_172932.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 88
  • IMG_20211211_172941.jpg
    IMG_20211211_172941.jpg
    228.7 KB · Views: 76
In that case any steam is probably condensing on the underside of the insulation and running back down to through the fan.
Yes, you need to install the correct sized ducting to an outlet. Do not just let it vent into your loft or you will have damp/mould problems. The steam has to be vented to the outside air, preferably in the sortest, straightest route possible.

There absolutely MUST be ducting to the outside. Typically poked through the eaves gap.

I can't see the fan in either of your pics.

The fan would be better positioned furthest from the point of dry air entry (probably the gap under the door) but water vapour is lighter than air, so rises to the ceiling, where your fan is, so not too bad.

Electricians, plumbers, builders, the ****housery never stops does it?

If you have no ducting outside, then you shouldn't really be using it. Having it vent into the loft is going to cause problems at some point (although its quite common).

I'd look at ducting it outside, which isn't easy tbh
Or. Perhaps fit one on the external wall or into the window glass.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back