Extractor fan Burnout

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ducted, double insulated Extractor Fan in loft switched with the light, timed over-run.
Been working fine for several years (note date lable 5/99) ... cleaned every year.

A 2 amp fuse required by manf in the fitting instructions, was not fitted by someone who knew better .. unfortunately he was a real sparky.
First pix shows plastic deformation of the outer plastic cover, on the corner at the shadow line.

FanBurn-2a.jpg

Upon stripping the fan, this next pix shows the inner shell damage plus the burnt circuit board.

FanBurn-8a.jpg

If you have an extractor fan in the loft, without the required fuse ... How do you fancy this going on out of sight ? Out of mind ? Out of home!!

Hope you can see why I have had a bee in my bonnet about it.
It's an awkward little problem to fuse both Live and switched live to the fan working in conjunction with the light.
P

Sponsored Links
ofc you can't be sure the fuse would have stopped that

i think grid modules are probbablly the best way if you really wan't to fuse 2 seperate live feed to one appliance

plugwash said:
ofc you can't be sure the fuse would have stopped that

i think grid modules are probbablly the best way if you really wan't to fuse 2 seperate live feed to one appliance

I agree, legrand and ashley do a good range.

You don't need 2 fused feeds, and you don't need to invest in grid modules. Assuming the usual scheme of wiring the fan into the lighting circuit, controlled by the light switch, you just replace the switch with a DP one, and use a normal FCU:

fanwiring.jpg

If you use a switched FCU then you can do away with the 3-pole isolator, as the FCU will isolate the fan completely.

Sponsored Links
Just seen this post and is a sensible idea. Where would you mount the sfcu, could this be in the bathroom, if so which zone would you place it in?

btw does anyone know of anywhere that sells red and earth (ie one red core and a bear earth core) maplin used to sell it but don't anymore

sounds like it would be very usefull in this setup ;)

you can get twin red and earth from an electrical wholesaler

nstreet said:
Just seen this post and is a sensible idea. Where would you mount the sfcu, could this be in the bathroom, if so which zone would you place it in?
Zone 3 or outside the Zones would be OK

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back