Extractor fan covers - can't find one anywhere!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
So I have completed at upward extension to the house and we have a new shower room. Building regs meant that an extractor needed to be fitted. I open the window when I shower so the extractor is next to useless for me, but perhaps not everyone...

What I'd like is a cover to fit over it as the draft into the room when it's cold outside is artic!

The extractor is a Manrose Intervent 4" 100mm

I'd have thought that I could buy a cover for it??
But I can't find one anywhere.... any ideas?

[/url]

Sponsored Links
Is the external grille wall mounted or soffit mounted?

A wall mounted external grille should have 'flaps' over it, which will lift when air is drawn through the extractor fan.

Sponsored Links
Hi and thanks for the replies. Just had a baby so bit slow on the uptake...

There's no external grille so I presume that its sofit mounted - seems sweird to me, where does it dump the extracted air? Just into the roof space?

Replacing the whole fan seems like a big job to me, it's on an isolator switch and timed to come on with the light, off several minutes later. I'm not confident of messing with all those connections and modules so I'll probably take a pass. The in-line extractor looks ideal and I'll look to give this a go over the next few days (or weeks, depending on the number of sleepless nights!!).

Thanks for the pointer!

There's no external grille ... where does it dump the extracted air? Just into the roof space?
If it does then you should start regularly putting money aside to pay for a new roof, as yours will rot away.

Seriously - you need to find where the ducting runs, and if it's not been done properly then get the builder back to put right his mistake.

I'll check!!! I can't think that there'll be anything amiss but it's gotta be worth checking, thanks.

If the exit of that fan is not directly behind that wall you need a different fan anyway. That one won't push air more than half a meter with much success. You need a centrifugal fan, or if there is pipework in the loft, an inline would be best.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back