Extractor fan, three pole isolator, fcu

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks to the great advice I was given in other threads, I'm nearly done installing an extractor fan - ceiling through loft and fascia. Unfortunately I didn't check the manufacturers installation requirements prior to stating (oops), and they specify a 3a fuse.

Obviously as they state it as a requirement in the documentation, I've got to fit one; I appreciate that in reality I may not need it.

Would a 2 gang back box with a 3a fcu and a three pole isolator be acceptable?

Sponsored Links
The problem here is how do you fit one 3 amp fuse that will cover both the permanent live and the switched live of the fan?

One solution is to fit a 3 amp fused spur which serves the whole of the bathroom, ie a 3 amp fuse serving the bathroom light as well as the fan.

Alternatively, there is a rather complicated wiring diagram someone here will probably find for you that will show a 3 amp fuse serving just the fan, but I'm yet to see such a set up in real life.

In the real world, I would say the fans are either wired as indicated in my second paragraph; or, as often seems to be the case, the fans are simply wired to a 6 amp circuit without a 3 amp fuse.

Of course, one should always adhere to the manufacturer's instructions.

electrics:lighting:fanwiring7ib.jpg

Hi guys,

Thank you for your replies, that does clear things up - especially the diagram. While I do already have a DP pull switch in place, is there any reason one couldn't just wire the bathroom light's L and the fan's SL from the single fused live?

Sponsored Links
The whole point of this arrangement is so that the light is not controlled by the SFCU - which you don't need or really want - as it is to be able to isolate the fan should it become faulty.

Good point!

Well it'll add more complexity (relatively), but it seems to be the way to go. Our consumer unit is old as hell, and the manufacturer states a fuse, so a fuse it must be!

Thank you for your help; much appreciated.

As an afterthought, I assume one can't use one FCU for the live and one FCU for the switched live - with a three-pole isolator in a three-gang box?

Only reason I could think of is that it would mean there could be a max draw of 6A across both lines, rather than three across both. I suppose I answered that one myself...

As an afterthought, I assume one can't use one FCU for the live and one FCU for the switched live - with a three-pole isolator in a three-gang box?
Well, you could - but you don't need a 3P isolator because the FCU (or FCUs) do the job.

However, it could be considered unacceptable because of the two points required to isolate - and a bit naff.

Also, it is not really an advantage because the wiring would be no easier.

I suppose so, I just thought it might be a bit neater, having that all in one box next to the fan.

I suppose so, I just thought it might be a bit neater, having that all in one box next to the fan.
It's usual to place the SFCU (and/or 3P isolator) outside the bathroom high near the door.
This tends to be relatively near the switch.

I thought that sparkies preferred having then near the unit they were isolating, so they could be sure some plonka couldn't flip it without them knowing? I don't really care where it goes, but a switch in the loft is one less on the wall/ceiling. ;)

We don't always get what we want.

It may not be allowed next to the fan - depending on the fan's position in the bathroom.

In the loft is fine as long as you can access it easily and it is identified.

Aye, the fan is in-line and mounted in the loft; it's not far from the entrance hatch. I plan to leave everything labelled, with a diagram of the wiring I've done.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back