extractor fan very close to the shower

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
is it normal for a extractor fan to be this close to the shower. It looks too close and in a position where it could be accidentally sprayed with water if someone were to actually use the shower. Is this acceptable or a obvious building code violation

View media item 103145

Sponsored Links
It depends upon the fan. There are many that are suitably designed for installing in Zone 1 of a bathroom (ie inside a shower cubicle) they are usually rated at IP45 or above. The installation instructions for the fan will tell you. If you don't have them, you can probably find a copy on line. 230V fans should also be protected by an RCD.

Its a Vent Axia. Need the model number, probably on a label on the underside.

My, that's a long pull cord!

Sponsored Links
Its a Vent Axia. Need the model number, probably on a label on the underside.

My, that's a long pull cord!

The label is rather faded however it does claim to be “safety extra low voltage” as for the pull cord It about 3 feet long.

I don’t use that shower anyway as I don’t trust electric showers. I was just wondered if the close proximity of the fan was compliant with building code.

The label is rather faded however it does claim to be “safety extra low voltage”

In that case it is a 12v fan (there should be a transformer box, somewhere).
It is designed to be in locations where mains fans are not permitted. Like in a shower!

It’s fine.

Yes...
but doesn't that pull switch fall under the following heading for zone 1?
Only switchgear with a maximum 12V AC RMS or 30V DC SELV may be installed

"701.512.3 Erection of switchgear, controlgear and accessories according to external
influences

The following requirements do not apply to switches and controls which are incorporated in fixed current-using
equipment suitable for use in that zone or to insulating pull cords of cord operated switches."

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back