Extractor fan with fused isolator

I am having difficulty finding details for this fan.

Am I right in thinking it is an in-line fan which will be in the loft?

Sponsored Links
ae235

Sold by Screwfix DETAILS

( other supplies are available )

Didn't spot the obvious difference in the diagrams, I think I just had my head in my hands. I've sent the question regarding the isolator missing from the supplier's diagram (but haven't asked why that diagram wasn't included in the installation instructions in the first place).

It will be a lengthy visit into the loft to see whether I can locate the correct cables and see if I can work it with JohnW2 suggestion. Only because they are under boards with the only visible bits being the switched side of the switched live and another part of the live circuit used to power the original fan. Thanks you have all been really helpful.

Sponsored Links
Yes, so bathroom light is irrelevant.
Probably - since that could perhaps be the last nail in the coffin of the (pretty pathetic) argument in favour of having a 'fan isolator'.

However, I say 'probably' since, if the lighting in the loft is derived from the same circuit as the bathroom lighting, then I suppose 'that argument' might show its face again!

Kind Regards, John

Didn't spot the obvious difference in the diagrams, I think I just had my head in my hands. I've sent the question regarding the isolator missing from the supplier's diagram (but haven't asked why that diagram wasn't included in the installation instructions in the first place).
Well, electrically speaking, there's nothing wrong with it. The '2-pole isolation' will totally kill all supply (including both permanent and switched live) to the fan - but the 'problem' (in some people's minds) is that it will also kill the supply to the light.

Kind Regards, John

Are you planning to instal it so it continues running for a period after the light is turned out?

This is an important question and affects how it needs to be wired.

This is an important question and affects how it needs to be wired.
It is, and I suppose that we have probably all assumed (yes, I know!) that the OP would not have gone to the additional expense of buying the timer model (he has been talking about both permanent and switched L throughout) if he did not want that functionality - but I agree that we need him to confirm that.

Kind Regards, John

It was the timed functionality I was looking for. I've assumed the fan will need to run for at least a short time after the bathroom is vacated and light switched off to clear any steam/condensation.

It was the timed functionality I was looking for. I've assumed the fan will need to run for at least a short time after the bathroom is vacated and light switched off to clear any steam/condensation.
Indeed so. Thanks for confirming.

Kind Regards, John

Did your old fan work with a timer function? If so, you can find and resuse its cable,

If not, you will need to find the connections is the ceiling rose for the lamp. Photograph it with the cover open and post here BEFORE you disconnect any of the wires.

This is very important.

Did your old fan work with a timer function? If so, you can find and resuse its cable,
I think that everything the OP has said implies that it was - but, again, I'm sure he can/will confirm.
If not, you will need to find the connections is the ceiling rose for the lamp. Photograph it with the cover open and post here BEFORE you disconnect any of the wires.
As has been discussed, it's not quite as simple as just "re-using the old cable" if the OP wants to use the fuse module in his isolator to protect the light (hence also the fan's S/L) as well as the fan (it appears that the old fan had neither a fuse nor an isolator).

Kind Regards, John

The old fan did work with a timer, I photographed the connections but it was neither isolated or fused. Unfortunately the connections were into junction boxes distant from the light connections (which are 6 spots on a transformer). I'll see what else I can photo but this will now probably be tomorrow once I can have a better look at it. Thanks

I see nothing to suggest that the fused isolator he has bought is the best option.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back