Extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to install a new fan in my bathroom. Fan has is a timer type with L, LS and N. The wire has red (live?), black and bare copper. I want it to run off of the ligh, howeve, the only way I can get it running is by running a wire from the L to ls but it runs continuosly like that.

Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
You need to run a 4 Core cable check your instructions with the fan. You should also have a Fan isoalting switch out side the bathroom

A timer fan needs a permenent supply on L
also a Switched supply from light to Ls , this will trigger the fan, and when switched off , will run via the timer from the permenent supply before stopping

if all you have is one red permenent live it will only run continuous when L and Ls is linked as you say

if all you have is a switched supply, link L to Ls
but the timer will then not work, just on/ off from the switch

Sponsored Links
I have a red, black and copper wire. what is the black, switch? Maybe I'll just get an electrician. :rolleyes:

I have a red, black and copper wire. what is the black, switch? Maybe I'll just get an electrician. :rolleyes:

You would also need a neutral to run the fan
As you said the fan runs I assumed you had a black neutral
The bare one should really be earth if done correct in the first place

Are you replacing an existing fan, and how did that work

The CPC must only ever be used as a CPC.

It must not ever be connected to anything else.

Not even at all. Ever.

Not even as a one off.

The CPC must only ever be used as a CPC.

It must not ever be connected to anything else.

Not even at all. Ever.

Not even as a one off.
Totally agree ,not just for the regs but I think it can be potentially dangerous, but others dont seem to mind doing it as we have both proberly seen.
we know that its wrong, but in the ops case it seems a bit dubious and I would not want him to get a belt, he says he has a permanent live,
Assuming there was a timer fan before ,where is the switchlive :confused: if there ever was one

the previous fan never worked and was a "pull cord" type, red live and black neutral. Like I said it never worked so I assume the motor burned out. I was looking for an easy solution but it sounds like some other step is involved so I'm out of my depth now.

ok
Assuming the previous fan was wired right
red is live
black is neutral
bare copper should have green/ yellow sleeve on it is earth

The old fan turned on/ off with the pullswitch when it worked

Your options

get a fan with a pullswitch and turn on/ off as desired USING the pullcord
notifiable :?: as you are replacing one I dont know

Or
get new wiring installed with an extra core to use your timer fan
(light switches fan on and timer turns it off)
Or
get existing wiring altered to use a NON timer fan
(perm live swopped to switch live, fan will work only whilst light on)

Due to location proberly will be notifiable work for the wiring

Fitting a replacement fan is not notifiable.

Altering the wiring will be.

OP, do you know what zone within the bathroom the fan is located in?

You could install a PIR fan if you want it to come on as you enter the room, but don't want to alter the wiring. :)

RF,

the shower/bath is to the left as you enter with the fan top right of the wal oppsoite you as you enter.

What is PIR fa/extractor?

RF,

the shower/bath is to the left as you enter with the fan top right of the wal oppsoite you as you enter.

What is PIR fa/extractor?

Passive Infra Red
Basically has a sensor built on the fan , as you walk in the room your body will trigger it and turn it on
Works Similar to the lights people have in the garden , but the sensor is a bit more discreet

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back