F/E tank circulation

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have an open system with a standard boiler and combined feed vent pipe with an air seperator fitted. Recently I was going to drain down, add cleaner, drain, refill etc I have noticed something that I consider odd though.

When the heating and hot water are on there seem to be no circulation in the feed and expansion tank. After 3 hours of heating the tank is not even warm. I was under the impression it should at least get warm? As a result I do not want to add anything to the tank as I dont see how it will enter the rest of the system. I know I can add at other points in the system but this issue is making me curious/concerning me.

Can anyone explain this for me?

PS HW and CH are all working fine.

Sponsored Links
Add it into the tank before you refill the system. Then it gets in with the water. The tank is just an easy place to put it, it would work equally as well if you put it in a radiator etc.

The system isn't supposed to circulate through the tank.

It's just there for 'feed and expansion'

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back