Failed sensor unit on heated bathroom mirror

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The attached photo shows the control unit of a handsfree switch of a heated bathroom mirror. Mirror was manufactured about 3 years ago and sold by bcdesigns. They can no longer get the parts as their manufacturer ceased trading.

The four coloured wires at the top of the pic go through to a small sensor unit that comes through the glass of the mirror (about 10mm dia hole). The light is switched on and off by hand movement in front of the sensor. The two black cables at the bottom are mains in/out.

I'm 99% certain that, due a severe bend in the sensor cable close to where it goes into the body of the sensor, that there is a disconnection so its pretty much irrepairable.

In terms of a fix, I can either replace the sensor if I can get an exact replacement or I can replace the whole unit providing the sensor diameter through the glass is the same size

Can't see anything obvious online. Can anyone with more knowledge than me offer advice on how to get it working again - particularly the part(s) info that might provide the fix.

Thanks

Attachments

• switch.jpg
    switch.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 384
Sponsored Links
Thanks TTC, I've just fitted a cabinet that has one like that. Nice to know I can get a replacement if it fails.

Hard to know without seeing all of it, but I've used one of these & works fine.
Maybe it will fit?

Thanks ToTC. That's just the type of thing I'm looking for, except it is 3 mm too large to get through the current hole in the mirror and I might not get away drilling without damaging the mirror surface. If only there was a smaller diameter one but I've drawn a blank on finding one so far

Sponsored Links
.... it is 3 mm too large to get through the current hole in the mirror and I might not get away drilling without damaging the mirror surface.
I would have thought that attempting to an enlarge an existing hole in glass by drilling is almost always going to end in tears - and probably with a cracked mirror rather than just a 'damaged surface'. I would suspect that the only real hope (and even that very iffy) would be some sort of grinding.

Kind Regards, John

You'd have more chance of successfully reducing the diameter of the sensor than enlarging the hole.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back