"False" alarms on wireless alarm systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
How many were in commercial working environments?

ie How many were in areas where other devices - machinery - crowding of wireless devices - walkie talkies - etc and how many were in lower noise domestic environments?

Alumni, out of interest, how many domestic burglaries of UK homes do you are believe are carried out successfully as a result of RF interference with wireless alarms?

and if thats not trolling, I

[/quote]
Have you looked at his history of 30500+ posts, if they're not trolling I also have no idea what is

How many were in commercial working environments?

ie How many were in areas where other devices - machinery - crowding of wireless devices - walkie talkies - etc and how many were in lower noise domestic environments?

Wireless in a commercial environment - guffaw, why would you?

bog standard domestic properties. Your making a lot of noise but not listening.

Sponsored Links
Well that is strange. I have noted lots of comments regarding wirless problems and jamming over on the 'professional' forum. Lots of grade 2 kit that apparently has problems and yours too displays a higher percentage than I have come anywhere near. I give full 12 months warranty on all parts and labour and definately do not get a near 5% figure as you do.
I would definately know if 5 people in every hundred had called me to complain of random alarm activations.
I have not over the years had a single report of an alarm failing to activate when it should have.

Well that is strange. I have noted lots of comments regarding wirless problems and jamming over on the 'professional' forum. Lots of grade 2 kit that apparently has problems and yours too displays a higher percentage than I have come anywhere near. I give full 12 months warranty on all parts and labour and definately do not get a near 5% figure as you do.
I would definately know if 5 people in every hundred had called me to complain of random alarm activations.
I have not over the years had a single report of an alarm failing to activate when it should have.

add false alarm stats to everything else you don`t understand then, thats 5% of notified activations, not installed systems (for the record FA`s per system currently stand at 0.03 annualised)

however as we keep on telling you - ungraded kit doesnt detect this form of jamming, ergo you don`t get any problems.

now as an end user, would you prefer to know your alarm is actually working, or not?

No, you haven' seen anything (trade related) on the other forums with regards to this sort of topic. Why? Because you don't have access to it!!!
As it happens, there is very little. So, kinda makes you wrong on both counts.

And still you are in denial regarding even the basic concepts of the problem.

No, you haven' seen anything (trade related) on the other forums with regards to this sort of topic. Why? Because you don't have access to it!!!
As it happens, there is very little. So, kinda makes you wrong on both counts.

And still you are in denial regarding even the basic concepts of the problem.

Not in denial at all I accept the issue ALL I am saying is I am not aware of it causing me in particular any problems.
Although I don't have real time system monitoring I do have lots of people who have paid their good money and would and do tell me the moment they have any questions about their systems.
If you were to assume that everyone who had paid to have a system put in would definately call if it started false alarming then you would have a good idea of the scale of the potential problem I cannot say any more than that. In fact thats is all I can say so it's goodbye to this topic before we end up going in circles again.

Strange that you say very little - are you in fact saying then that it is not a big issue...so why make it out to be such a big deal in this thread other than sheer akwardness.

Not in denial at all I accept the issue ALL I am saying is I am not aware of it causing me in particular any problems.
Although I don't have real time system monitoring I do have lots of people who have paid their good money and would and do tell me the moment they have any questions about their systems.
If you were to assume that everyone who had paid to have a system put in would definately call if it started false alarming then you would have a good idea of the scale of the potential problem I cannot say any more than that. In fact thats is all I can say so it's goodbye to this topic before we end up going in circles again.

how do you not understand, the equipment you fit does not detect the issue under discussion, therefore your customers can never ring you about it?

that doesn`t mean it doesn`t happen, it means you don`t know about it, and thats quite a sobering thought.

That could possibly be due to the fact it did not.
A false alarm would be indicated.
Not "going off" when the residents are out would not be counted, as opposed to decent "kit" which would log EVERYTHING.

There seems to be some assumptions here that if an alarm goes off noone will know about it and therefore will be blissfully unaware of an issue.
The 6300 - 6400 panel does keep a log of all events. arming - disarming - activations - which sensor - phone contacts reached etc.
It also keeps a fault log - tampers - device drop outs - power failures - etc
Therfore any activations can be interrogated. There seems to be an assumption that it is impossible to tell if jamming was occuring when this is strictly not true.
Should an alarm be placed in an area where the local noise is such that it is continual from some process or other then this would be indicated because the panel would lose polling from the registered devices and would then add an item to the fault log.
No the panel does not report signal strength from the devices however if the devices cannot be polled it reports this instead. So there are ways and means with the yale systems to know whether local issues exist.
The sirens themselves have jammming detection I don't know what the algorithm for the yale system is but the Friedland one is as follows any should any single period of 30 seconds or any 3 periods of jamming occur lasting 10 seconds within 5 minutes the alarm will activate.
I know its wrong to assume but lets just say yale have something along those lines too.

the panel would lose polling from the registered devices
It cannot poll on one way wireless. It can only recognise loss of a sensor that goes quite for a perisod several times the maximum permitted interval between reports from that sensor. Polling is when the central control asks each sensor in turn to report its status.

As the siren is receive only it cannot inform the panel that it ( the siren ) is being jammed by a transmission that the panel cannot hear so the panel cannot log every incident jamming of the siren. This means false alarms can happen with no log entry to say they are a result of jamming.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back