False Ceiling studwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm putting a false ceiling in up my bathroom.

I've bought 4x2s to do the frame.
After ripping out some existing studwalls and finding 2x2s used I'm wondering if 4x2's are overkill or even too heavy for the ceiling?

The room is 2250 x 1650. I'm using plasterboard at 1800x900.
I'm guessing it would be best to frame the main supports long ways and plasterboard across the short (1650mm) part.

Does that sound ok?

Any advice greatly appreciated!

cheers

Sponsored Links
4" x 2" will be perfect.

Their chunkiness is reassuring and is less likely twist, sag or waft.

Fix a timber to all four walls then fill in the short run at 450mm centres.

Buy two 900mm x 2400mm boards and have only one join.

Or, if you do decide to buy 900mm x 1800mm boards be sure to set the end catchers at 1800mm from the wall as opposed to obeying 450mm centering. Stagger the boards so that you have a make-up piece at opposite ends.

Use foil back (duplex) plasterboards.

Cheers Noseall.

I plan on doing myself with a couple of builders props hence the 1800mm boards.

Do you not like the idea of putting the 1800mm length short ways cut to 1675mm ?

Then there would be no joins to stagger.

Understand about not obeying the centering so the boards are supported round the full perimeters on top of the 450mm centres.

Sponsored Links
There is nowt wrong with your idea about running them down the longer length, no.

We would fix the perimeter timber just the same.

We would then cut a separate piece of timber 1650 and rest it centrally on top of the perimeter timbers.

Fill in the long lengths as normal. Then use this timber resting on top as kind of ceiling binder. You can straighten any bowed timber by fixing them to the binder and stiffen the whole ceiling.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back