Fan cut off switch

has

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I need to install a fan in a container to run in conjunction with a pump. The problem I have is the customer needs the pump to stop if the fan fails. My only idea so far is an airflow switch of some sort. Can any one offer any suggestions. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for that, the fan is yet to be decided but its to be installed in a steel container that will filter dirty water! Not seen the container as yet its just the fan providing the headache.

You could get a current operated relay.

We install these in commercial kitchens to control the gas valve. If the extract and intake fans have not been switched on or one of them has tripped, the gas will not switch on.

Sponsored Links
Thanks RF my main concern would be if the motor failed yet the circuit is still live.

It would still work.

If the fan is not running (for whatever reason) then no current will be flowing, even if the circuit is still live.

I don't think we want to know what kind of dirty water filtering requires fumes to be extracted....

Choosing the type of sensing depends on how critical the interlock is.

In 99% of cases a current relay as suggested above will do the trick but it won't stop the pump if the fan runs but the air flow fails. If you're pulling air out of the container the inlet could get blocked or vis-versa.

Also, I assume you will be filtering the air and filters block.

What is the application and how critical is the interlock?

if the fan is jammed, it could still draw current as the windings start cooking, but won't be providing any airflow....

How about a venturi and an air pressure switch, as used in combi boilers?

We used to use a microswitch operated by a paddle hanging down into the fan exhaust to detect a cooling fan failure in power supply units.

Agree with the problem of the fan stalling - it will still take current. I have seen a few various methods of monitoring airflow, a microswitch connected to a paddle installed in the ductwork is probably the most reliable.
Some sort of rotameter setup might work.
I'd expect a pressure switch may be susceptable to blockage, especially in a dirty environment. How dirty is the environment?

In complete contravention of the KISS principle, how about an IR beam broken by the fan blades, the pulses being counted by a PLC.

Less than x pulses in y seconds, pump is turned off.

We use pressure differential switches at work to monitor blockages and also fan failure

Thanks for the excellent ideas, the "water" will be somehow filtered using hydrogen. As yet I have no idea how, but my only concern is the supply for pump and the fan.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back