FAO Regulars: Freezing of 8mm - 28mm pipework

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm currently toying with the idea of purchasing pipe freezing equipment. I tend to end bung most systems upto 22mm. However i've never tried this freezing method nor anyone i know has.

Have any of you tried it and if so what success have you had?

Sponsored Links
Have an Artcic Polar kit. Works ok. COsts a few pounds per freeze in freexer "can". I always add £40 if freezing. Point out that alternative is to take longer, risk other problems etc.

Sponsored Links
I have had the Rothenberger Rofrost CO2 kit and now have their electric one.

CO2 freezer froze pipework a lot quicker but was unreliable. Furthermore it was expensive to run. I'd advise never to buy one of these, they are a complete headache. In the end I took it back to the merchant and asked for a refund.

Got credit for the gas freezer (about £260) which I then used towards an electric one (£750ish). Although it takes longer to freeze it's guaranteed, cheaper to run and can be left on for as long as necessary without the need to change a gas cylinder. It's worth the extra money and as ChrisR said you can always add on a few quid to the job. More than that it removes the need to drain and refill a system and the headache of airlocks!!!!

I have used an electric pipe freezer to change a stop cock on mains pressure. Worked very well. The unit is heavy though (15-20 Kg).

If there is a power cut you have about 5 mins to finish up. :p

kevplumb said:
so you get your finger out :LOL:

how far away from the 'freeze plug' do you have to be before you can safely make a capillary? Ive been toying with getting a freezer for a while!

kevplumb said:
1 m is recommended when you get used to it you draw your own boundries :LOL:

I was hoping you'd say that. If you got everything lined up and fluxed, I'd hope that it would be a *lot* less than that.

htgeng said:
kevplumb said:
so you get your finger out :LOL:

how far away from the 'freeze plug' do you have to be before you can safely make a capillary? Ive been toying with getting a freezer for a while!

Pipe expands when freezing so doittoclose and the fitting don't go on pipe :LOL:

If you wanted to solder you would have to work quick. One thing I noticed was that because the pipe is very cold it gathers condensation very quickly, in fact this then freezes and to get on my compression fitting I had to scrape off surface ice.

It takes about 10 mins to freeze 15mm pipe.

I was working 8 inches away from the freezing heads and the bathroom was cold and damp. Mind, I am a bit ponderous and getting off the old olive took me about 10 mins.

Dinosaur says that to test the pipes is cold when freezing drill a smallhole where you intend to cut the pipe, self tapper can then plug it back up if not ready.

Piisssst alway cut the ppe with pipe cutters the little groove it leaves stops the plug shooting out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back